Sunday, March 30, 2008

Old Sarah meet new Sarah

Sometimes I can hardly believe I am the same person I was 10 years ago.

My very first car was a 1980 Mustang. I loved that car, I babied that car, and I cried when that car was totaled in a rainy day accident at a stoplight. It was followed by a red Dodge Shadow that I didn't give two hoots about, then by a 1985 Honda Accord. I liked the Accord well enough, but I was so happy to upgrade to a newer Accord when I graduated from college. One with a CD player and a sunroof. I cruised all over Florida in that car. The sun shining in on me, the radio blaring.

When I was pregnant with Jack that Accord started to die too. And I cried again when it went to someone new. I was so mad at my dad when he suggested we buy a minivan. Who wants a minivan? Ugh. But a mini van it was. I was never over the moon over the last mini van, but I liked it well enough. It can hold a lot of crap at flea markets, and it is useful when you have a child.

So, imagine my surprise when that minivan died and I marched myself right over to the used car dealer and told them that there was no question about it, I wanted another minivan. No SUVs, no sedans, please only show me the minivans. What?!?!?! Did I say that?

That's my new-to-me minivan up there. And it rocks. Well, as much as a minivan can rock. :-) Who knew there was really a minivan driving soccer mom inside me of after all?
Despite the fact that the daffodils are in full bloom, the weather here is the pits. It is raining, raining, raining non stop. We have not seen a ounce of sunshine or warmth in so long I cannot remember when it was last here. I was so hopeful that March would bring spring. I guess there is always April, eh?
Bad weather means that the flea markets and garage sales are still as sparse as can be also. We went to a one time flea market yesterday in Eureka, and I am here to say it was so cold out there I thought I was going to die. The wind was whipping, I couldn't feel my fingers, and even me, die hard junker, did NOT enjoy it one single bit.

I did manage to pick up this piece of pottery at a different flea market a few weeks ago. I think we were out there in the snow. I know. Crazy. I am desperate for that mindless, relaxing wandering that comes with yard sales and fleas. Desperate I tell you. It's been a long winter.
I did find some ornaments yesterday. Holding the box in that whipping wind was pure torture. I think it nearly gave me frostbite. LOL

I put a lot of new pottery photos on Flickr too.

I am off to check in on all of you! I feel like I haven't had a chance to look at your blogs all week. Maybe you are having better flea market luck? Maybe you are soaking up the sun? It sounds lovely.

22 comments:

  1. Hey I just got a new-to-me minivan too. It's my first, I always SWORE I'd never own one. Now with an almost 3 year old and hopefully another baby on the way when Ryan gets home, a minivan makes perfect sense for us. Isn't it wild how we evolve?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVED this post! And I think we can all relate to it and not just with cars. Who knew I'd be shopping in San Francisco and leave my pricey handbag at home and sport a fanny pack. Ouch!
    D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just catching up....sorry to hear about Jack and the battery. I know that kind of thing is super scary. My DS swallowed a quarter and that was quite enough for me to deal with. Digging through poop is not the most fun thing. :( Glad you had the xray done and see that all is well.

    Congratulations on the new-to-you minivan. It looks just like mine! This is our 3rd minivan and I can't see myself driving anything else until DS is much older.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you get the final word that the battery was out? Hope so! I wasn't able to do the minivan thing on our last care purchase, but close. We got a CRV. Roomier than a sedan and has space in the back to haul things around.

    I saw there was one garage sale around here from the newspaper but I didn't brave the cold. It will be interesting to see the number of sales grow as we head into April.

    I'm so tired of the cold too and I'm starting to lose hope we will see any warmth until July! I hope not, we got pool passes this year and the pool opens right after Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooooh! i have some of the same ornaments. i love 'em! if it makes you feel any better our daffodils are just poking through the ground. (and right now they're under 4 in of snow) congrats on your new van! it is scary, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in love with your ornaments - I'm hoping to find some of those this year. If I put it out there in the universe, maybe it will happen eh?

    I see the mini-van utility and I congratulate you for just giving into it. I still haven't humbled myself sufficiently, but I'm getting there - we have a station wagon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the new miini van it looks great.
    Love the daffodils.
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  8. No sun or warmth here, either. Ugh.

    The ornaments are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too cry over the death of a car. I cried my eyes out when I sold my Mustang, and when I had to sell my Saturn to a scrap dealer.
    I'm not really emotionally attached to my current car though, so we'll see.
    Congrats on the minivan!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vicki7:13 PM

    Congrats on the new addition. We're wondering about getting 2 car seats and a labrador into the back seat of a Subaru Forester. Should be interesting. Vicki at hollyhocks.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank goodness Jack is ok. That was really scary. Congrats on the new car. Anyhoo, I can't believe you managed to finish a project from the magazine what with all the "freaking craziness" going on. I'm just glad that's all over now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I get overly emotionally involved in my cars too. I remember when I was about seven years old - I came home and there was a different car in the driveway. My Dad had traded in our Green Cadillac. I was absolutely devasted that no one had ask me if this was acceptable! As if they would ask a seven year old.

    I sobbed as I watched my little Isuzu I-Mark get towed off to the Junk Yard. That was my singlehood, my before Motherhood car. That was my going to the club, going out dancin', I am free car.

    Yea. We got a Minivan to replace it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The new mini looks great! I am very envious of your minivan-owner status and I'm cheered that you've grown into a minivan groove ...

    Actually, what strikes me more is that your neighbourhood looks crazy-similar to mine back in Canada. I think that's cool!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so funny! I am new to the mini van as well. I was holding off and trying not to....but I have given in and enjoy mine as well. Good luck and always love your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have to admit I am on the path to minivan too. Not only in planning for chilren but planning for hauling things for my business. People can say what they want about minivans but they are really convenient and useful. I guess I'm a soccer mom wanna be!

    We haven't had to much sun here in MD either. We had one nice 70° day last week but it was just a teaser. Hopefully April shower will bring May flowers in April.

    Love the ornaments you found, they're my favorite kind.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We are definitely not soaking up the sun here. It snowed today! I remember swearing up and down that I would never drive a minivan, and my dad chuckling. Now we are a proud two minivan family. Love the ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I feel your car pain. I'll forever miss my VW bug. I loved that car. Now I've got to have a dog carrying mobile :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad to hear that Jack is okay after the battery incident... I wish we were enjoying sunny skies, but unfortunately it is mostly rain here... Although Saturday was lovely (although a bit cold) so we were able to get out and explore our new city a bit.
    Congrats on the new minivan :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad to hear Jack is OK. Love those ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Our yard sales have been kinda slim so far this year too...

    As for the minivan - I always said I wouldn't get one, but after having an SUV with a third row, I decided to get a van which would have the 3rd row, but be easier to maneuver inside to go nurse the baby in the back seat and cart around grandparents and such. I love mine so far! The stow-n-go is great!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hope your weather improves soon so you can get out there and thrift away...and fill up that new ride!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Haha! My mini van is the car I never knew I'd always love. Why? Cuz that's how we roll 'round here.

    Glad to see things are going well with you.
    Cheers! LA

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?