Tuesday, March 11, 2008

You light up my life

Since some of you were asking to see our chandeliers, here they are*. We have one in every room except the kitchen, where I find the ceiling fan quite useful in the summer. (I do have a gorgeous kitchen chandelier that my husband made for me from teacups though, but it hasn't been hung in this house.)

I found this one 2 weeks ago at the flea. It was still it's ugly brass color, and was missing all but 10 of the crystals. It was ok by me though, the price** was way too cheap to leave it there. While I was cleaning the birdcage, I spray painted it and it replaced the IKEA chandelier that was hanging way too low in the sewing room. I love the addition of a few blue crystals. (By the way, I have always tried to buy crystals second hand, because I had no idea they sold them in Home Depot. Am I the only one who didn't know that? LOL)
A better shot of that one in the bathroom. One day I was rummaging around in my wallet and I discovered that I had 2 20 pound notes in there from a long ago trip to Notting Hill. I cashed them in at the bank, went to Lowes, and bought this chandelier out of the clearance pile.
The daisy chandelier hangs in our living room, the only that is swagged. I picked it up at a garage sale when we lived in Florida. It was the first chandelier I bought. I guess it started a little love affair.
A flowery one in our bedroom. (Sorry the photo is so dark, our bedroom is dark until the afternoon.) This one was painted before it was properly cleaned (not by me), and I have never been able to get all the darn painted dust off of it. I picked it up at a flea market in Florida.
We bought this beauty the very first time we took Jack to the flea market. It is not what I would ordinarily think of as my style, but man do I love this thing. It is in gorgeous original condition, with it's little metal made in Italy tag still intact. We recently hung it up in Jack's room when we started his little room make over.

You have already seen the chandelier in the hallway , and it was one of my very best buys ever.

Well, there you have it. What lights up our life. Well, aside from all the vintage table lamps. I think I need a vintage lighting intervention.

I must admit that I find it a bit strange to look at bits and pieces of our house that way. Maybe I am in complete and utter denial about how feminine our house is, because the bits and pieces sure are girly. LOL

* Do not be surprised to find them dusty or with mismatched light bulbs or crooked shades or missing a crystal or two. They are old, the light bulbs are often mismatched because I don't want 400 watts of light, and I don't dust them very often after I was severely burned dusting one last Easter. I reached through the darn thing and burned myself on a hot light bulb. I have a giant ugly scar on my wrist as a constant reminder, and it makes me a little gun shy around them.

**Aside from the brand new one in the bathroom, they were all less than $20.

26 comments:

  1. The chandeliers are so neat! I love them all. And I think the dark pic in the bedroom is great, it shows the beautiful reflection on the ceiling. What a wonderful collection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be looking at all those thrifted chandeliers out there a little differently! Like how they would look in my home repurposed!
    Sooo inspiring Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Home Depot? You don't say! Is that where you found the blue crystals? I never would have guessed. Good to know!

    I am in LOVE with the one with the pinecones. I've never seen one like it and I can see why you adore it! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice scores. I love em all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I'm impressed that they were so cheap. You really do have the golden touch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! My favorite it the last one. I love that style.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have some of the best thrift mojo I have ever seen. I love Jack's!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a fun home you must have!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how gorgeous all of your chandeliers are.
    Love them all - how great the one in Jacks room is. I think the 'less perfect' they are the better.
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many beautiful chandeliers, now I want one xoxoxo Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous chandeliers!!! The tea cup one sounds amazing...

    Jodie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't know about the crystals at Home Depot either! I have some cool red ones I got at an antique shop in KY.

    Love the blog post title, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohhh Sarah these chandeliers are gorgeous!! I must say, even tough not my style either, the last, insane one is actually my favourite! Stunning!! I'd love to see the teacup one sometime! Your husband is so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are all so cool! What great deals you find. I need to keep my eye out for them cause I really want a chandelier too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are all so different and all so lovely. Your home is absolutely amazing.

    As for what lights up my life? hahahaha mushroom lamps. You know, the cheap ones you get at Home Depot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. beautiful little collection. . .all less than $20? I'm hiring you as a personal flea market assistant this summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are awesome! Now I'm feeling like we need some chandeliers...bummer that our bedrooms don't have overhead lighting!

    And God bless your husband, because those chandeliers are both beautiful and very girly! I could not see my husband going for it--except for in the girls' room.

    Boy, am I going to jump into thrifting with both feet--your finds are inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Being that you are the only girl in the house, I think you are entitled to all the pink, chandi, ruffle love you want! Balance the equation a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very cool Sarah. They're all beautiful! It always amazes me how many different chadelier styles there are. You have a great mix!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so glad you shared these. Your chandeliers are all so pretty. My favorite is the one in the hallway. And, I love the blue crystals on the top one! I'm very partial to blue, and hope to find blue ones for my home. Thanks for the tip about Home Depot. I didn't know that either! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oooo....you have so many! I have been looking for one for my daughters room since last summer. I didn't know that they sold crystals at Home Depot! That's wonderful news!! I just saw a chandelier the other day that looked about the right size but had not decorations on it so I didn't get it. Maybe it's still there and I can spruce it up a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, thanks for the grand tour of your chandeliers. They're all so pretty, but I think I'm drawn to your "crystal" ones the most. Well, since you mentioned vintage table lamps, you'll have to show those off next.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those are amazing. I have one that I have stred. It makes me want to get it out and spruce it up. You don't find any that cheap in Santa Cruz anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  24. they are all fun! you are quite the thrifting queen.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have MAJOR chandelier envy.

    And I think it is SO funny about the pounds. Like, who just has a hunk of Pounds floating around in their purse from a trip to Notting Hill? A while ago! Seriously. That rocks!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?