Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Crazy Lucky

The very first thing I should say here is that I feel crazy lucky to have found these. And I have no clue what is going on this year. For the past few years I have been lucky to find one or two quilts a year to add to the collection, and usually the condition is pretty bad. But I think these two quilts make maybe 5 or 6 quilts in the past 2 or 3 months, and the condition on them is pretty darn good.

So, onto the story. We went to a flea market/garage sale thing Saturday morning before Dave's parents arrived at the airport. We arrived shortly after 8, starting time, but the line to park was crazy long. I was already twitchy because of my IL's arriving, so Dave told me to just get out of the car there and he would wait in line and park. He shoved a fistful of dollars at me and off I went.
Since I had a million other things on my mind and had hardly slept in two days, I was totally not on my garage sale game. It was freezing cold and I was mostly just wandering around aimlessly. People were still pricing things. I caught a glimpse of some fabric out of the corner of my eye, shoved in a plastic bag and under a pile of things waiting to be priced.

I saw that there were quilts, but I figured I couldn't afford them and walked on. Except they called me to come back to them. LOL So, back I went. When she said the price I almost fell over. I had her show me every one in the bag to make sure I wasn't missing anything, took the two old ones, forked over a ridiculously small amount of money and ran off like a bandit. I didn't even bother to open them up to see what they looked like. They were too cheap to care.
At that point I realized that everyone was still waiting in that line to park, so I ran around as much of the sale as I could before the majority of the crowd could start spilling in.

I ended up walking the whole market twice. And it took me forever to find David, since we stupidly made no arrangements on where to meet when I got out of the van. Jack had a gigantic temper tantrum, which made Dave have a gigantic temper tantrum. Me? There was no deflating my happiness over what I was carrying around. Every woman who passed me would exclaim, "OH! She has quilts."
We had so much other stuff to do that I didn't even get to unfold them until after we had picked up Dave's parents at the airport.

But when I did, oh man. What a treasure.

The second one has the most lovely 1930's fabric print. And the butterflies! They are gorgeous.
I found a few other treasures too.

A bag stuffed with the sweetest old patterns. There are 27 pages full of them, and they have embroidery patterns, baby clothes patterns, stuffed toy patterns and more on them. The snails are so darn cute!

And 2 more old mirrors, which are impossible to find here. Most of my collection of mirrors was acquired in Florida, so finding them on top of the quilts really was icing on the cake.

I am lucky, lucky girl. :-)

28 comments:

  1. These are so cute! Did you see the quilt headboard idea in last number of Martha Stewart? Really cute! It was hung on a curtain pole behind the bed ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You had a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stuff like this makes me believe in karma when normally I don't! So glad those quilts called back to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh lucky you! i love those kind of great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Sarah! That's more than crazy -- good for you! You're having the best luck this year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow you really hit the jackpot! Those are some amazing quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I love that butterfly quilt and the pattern is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness that is crazy lucky. What a find. It is funny how sometimes you find a lot of quilts in a short time and then sometimes nothing. Great!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - I love that butterfly one. You were definitely lucky there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! You weren't kidding when you called them squeal-worthy! I LOVE that butterfly quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. SOOO pretty, I am dieing to know what you paid for them:) Since I have been on a quit spree also!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You ARE the luckiest woman in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW!!! You hit the jackpot and they are all so beautiful and in such great shape!!!!
    So happy for you and thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey wanna pass a little luck over to me!??!!? super jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. congrats! I'm sure whoever made them would be happy to know they are safe & loved.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are crazy lucky!!!!

    I saw two quilts the past two Saturdays at the flea market. One was $30 and the other $20. They weren't quilted, they were tied. I just couldn't make myself buy them. I just couldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Luck is such an understatement. You have just lived my dream. I've heard about such finds but never lived them. Beautiful quilts. Stunning. They were meant to be yours. Thats all I can say because you appreciate them. The quilting Gods are smiling down on you. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. OH MY GOODNESS - the butterfly quilt! I have no words (Ok- maybe one - jealousy? better to just speak the truth I guess!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sarah what fabulous finds at the market. Glad to see Jack enjoyed spending time with his Grandparents
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  20. your thrift karma is impeccable. such a great haul!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, great quilts! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is so wonderful!! They are darling!

    ReplyDelete
  23. wowzers Sarah. Lucky indeed! Very cool. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh my gosh sarah, I'm perfectly GREEN with envy! You find the bestest stuff! LOVE the butterfly quilt! Show the cute patterns you found. Those are my weakness!

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are definitely adrenalin pumping, thrill making finds! Way to go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Can I come down and rub you so I get some of that luck? lol

    GORGEOUS. And I can't wait to see those patterns!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Can I come down and rub you so I get some of that luck? lol

    GORGEOUS. And I can't wait to see those patterns!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?