Sunday, April 20, 2008

Flea Market Sundays

By the time Friday night rolled around, I was feeling completely burned out on life and swore I was going to spend this entire weekend doing positively nothing. Hahaha. I crack myself up. Me do nothing in the springtime on the weekend? Probably never going to happen.

I did let myself sleep until 8 30 on Saturday though. Then we trotted off to a city wide garage sale out in the country. It wasn't as full of good junk as I had hoped, but it was late in the morning, cold and raining. It didn't matter though, the drive was gorgeous and I love it out there.

And what I did pick up I really love.

The flea market was good to me this morning too. Look at that quilt!!! God it is gorgeous. I am going to need another projik pie safe soon. (I don't think I can fit this one in there.)
I picked up another 2 sets of old canisters too. Not in the greatest shape, but they are useful. And they were crazy cheap.

Does anyone know an easy way to clean them? They are always dirty, but the paint seems to come off so easy. And just soap doesn't seem to cut the dirt.
Of course, I bought a piece of pottery. Or two.
And a tablecloth. Or two. They haven't been washed yet, so ignore those stains. I'll get to it.
And the most awesome find, an old flour sack with the label still on it. They label is made of crepe paper, and has a 1959 copyright on it.

I can't decide if I should wash it or leave it be...

It's good to have junking season back in swing, even if there is no place to park. And even if there is a lot less stuff than usual. (I know it probably doesn't seem like it here, but there is less stuff out there.)

There are gobs and gobs more photos on Flickr. Photos of gorgeous old buildings out in the country with beautiful blue lead paint, close ups of the quilt fabrics, some of the other stuff I bought, pictures taken by Jack, and more. You know you want to look at them. :-)

I am off to sneak a 2 minute nap in. Bliss.

P.S. All apron swap partners have been assigned. If you didn't get a few swap emails this weekend, look in your spam folder or give me a shout.

19 comments:

  1. Great finds as always! You are definitely the pottery/tablecloth/quilt queen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great finds.
    Love the quilt
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK. .I'm finally going to ask. Where's this mystery flea market that you are at every weekend? Your tablecloth tells me that it's worth a field trip?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What awesome finds! Now I can't wait for garage sale season to start here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You find the best stuff! Thanks for organizing the apron swap.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quilt is gorgeous! I just love all the colors! I wish I didn't work weekends so I could start checking out flea markets too. I will have to live vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I have ever seen a flour sack with a label on it before-so cool! You amaze me with the stuff you find-rain or shine. Plus, I love Jack's photos. Looking forward to seeing his big boy room!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've done it again!! Your flea finds really make me envious ;-) That piece of pottery is gorgeous, and so is the canisters. I'd was them with Nylon vask, a mild soapy think we have here, but I'm not sure if you have something like that over there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You found some amazing goodies - that flour sack is to die for!!! :) I can't decide if it would be best to wash or keep it either, though what would you do with it if you left the label on? frame it? (how cute would that be in the kitchen?)

    Also just made a HUGE announcement on the blog of the "HOLY MOLY" sort, so if you have a moment, stop on by. :)

    Kristin

    http://homegrownrose.typepad.com/reclaimingthehome

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice! You know, I don;t much of the history behind the flour sack. Can you enlighten me? :) You know, after your nap.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh man a quilt! Score. I had a great yard sale weekend too. Pictures soon...

    ReplyDelete
  12. You and your finds! Incredible!!! I want to go to one of YOUR yard sales. Not that you'd get rid of any of the great things you have found. Such treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fabulous quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, you really scored! Every single thing is something I'd have bought. Love 'em all. I have never, ever seen a feedsack like that. p.s. I don't know how to clean those canisters.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow Sarah! You always have the BEST finds. And that quilt IS stunning!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just two words; Gel. Us.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely stuff, I am still trying to navigate the sales here in NC, Hope to find a great one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I bow down before your thrifting greatness. That quilt alone is worth getting out of bed on the weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?