Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Growing up

Sometime last week I realized that Jack had yet to make any drawings that were really representational. On Monday night I left the paper I had used to make an apron pattern lying on the kitchen table thinking he would want to use it for drawing. And on Tuesday, he asked me for the crayons. I took a shower and came out to find this on the paper. A real drawing! It actually looks like something. Totally cool.
He continues to be endlessly fascinated by books. And lately that includes words, spelling and asking me all the time what sound does each letter make.

This is his current stack from the library, on the table where he was "reading" them at breakfast time. His imagination is really taking off and he is starting to make up stories to go along with the pictures if he doesn't know the book by heart already.

He has the Sneetches (and the other stories in the same book) completely memorized. That's no small feat considering how many words and how many stories are actually in that book.
He made this painting sometime last week and I hung it up in my sewing room. I love the pink and the blue and the green. He could spend a full 2 hours painting right now without getting bored.

Other notables at the moment:
He asks for everything in "fives" - five kisses, five jelly beans, five chips, five books;
I was sitting at the top of our steps waiting for Dave so I could ask him something, and Jack came up the stairs, gave me the biggest hug and said, "I am so glad to see you here!";
He has decided that Dandy is a he, and he has started to say how much he loves the Dandy, and he will ask if the Dandy is afraid, or sad, or happy, etc;
On the other hand, we see a lot less of Dandy these days. Sometimes Dandy spends all day in his bed!;
He has started saying he is "a big boy now", and will request big boy jobs, such as "spilling" his own milk into the cup, sweeping up the floor or helping with the vacuum;
He would spend all day, every day, outside if we could;
His only comment on the whole battery incident is that he "didn't have to go to the hosibull" (hospital), otherwise he is completely unfazed* by the whole incident;
And I cannot believe how big he is! 40 inches and 36 lbs. 40 inches! Time for a different carseat already.
And just because...this is what I bought at the flea last week. Gorgeous 1930's prints, but sadly it has been used as a painting drop cloth. (Why?!?!) When I pointed out that there was no way I could remove paint, the price was WAY too cheap to leave it there.

Jack is endlessly curious about why I am hanging things on that washing line, and I hoping it will get a chance to dry today before the rain comes again tomorrow. I washed it twice, and the water in the machine was so dark with yuck that you couldn't even see the quilt in there anymore.

I didn't dare try and wash it anymore though, it's a bit fragile. The man who sold it to me wanted to know if I was going to cut it up for pillows, and I couldn't really find the words to say that I can't cut them up, I just enjoy them as they are. I will put a few close ups of the fabric on Flickr.

I will be back later this week with that Blurb review.

*I would have never in a million years thought to spell that word that way.

17 comments:

  1. It brought a smile to my face to read about how Jack is growing into a big boy. I love all the milestones. You need to get your blog made into a book so you will always have it to read when he grown up and out of the house. I know you don't want to think of that just yet he he.

    Isn't it amazing how people are so oblivious to the fact that quilts are a lot of time and work!

    It makes me feel like people are just so ungrateful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love that quilt. The red polka dot in the middle-ish? Love. I'm glad you got it for a steal and will make sure it is well cared for. WHO, in their right mind, uses a wedding ring quilt for a dropcloth??? Ack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. barbara11:47 AM

    I got a little wistful reading about Jack ... I used to have a sweet little boy like that! And he still is sweet, even if he's not at all little. So, so cute, that Jack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so fun to see that picture! It reminds me of a few months ago when we started seeing them from Peter. And now we are getting legs, arms, feet, and hands.

    I'm in love with your quilt. I have always wanted a double wedding ring quilt. I set out to make one by hand at one point, but gave up a few years later. But, seeing yours reminds me of how much I really want one. Your so good to just take them as they are and enjuoy what you have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm catching up on your blog after being out of town for a few days. I'm so glad to read that the battery incident is behind you! What a relief.

    And, about the quilt, "why?!!" is right! That is so, so sad. It's such a beautiful quilt. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember being thrilled when my oldest drew something recognizable, too.

    Spenser's thing is four. Everything is four.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ohhhh I love Jack. He's so cute, just the way you describe him. Can a kid seriously be that cute? "spill" his milk into the cup??? hahaha

    Anyway, I love the little treasure you picked up! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two Master pieces!
    Sandra Evertson

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sure you have seen on Soule Mama the pillows Amanda makes from her kid's drawings...that would be a priceless napping pillow for Jack's big boy bed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for dropping by my blog to join the giveaway. I am loving your blog. As I read through the posts - many of them bring on a smile. Very sweet stuff here.

    Love,
    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember when my little sister drew a picture of me, complete with fingers and rings on my hands. I still have that picture. Jack is such a sweetie.

    Love the quilt, it's well worth $10!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sad that the quilt was abused like that. I love the scalloped edges. Those little face drawings are so cute. When my oldest was about 2 1/2, he used to draw faces on all of the food in the grocery ads. So fun to see the grow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another milestone for Jack! My mother-n-law framed the very first finger paintings of my girls. At the time I thought well you can't even tell what they are-but now I think they are priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmm, what a beauty of a quilt Sarah!
    Don't you feel like you just rescued something from near death... that you breathed new life back into this forgotten treasure and many now will find joy in it's restored beauty?
    Yup, it's what we do huh. And we sure love doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so smart to label and date Jack's drawing. I wish I had done that more often. I now have a huge stack of precious drawing that could have been done by any one of my three boys.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love kids' art. It's really amazing when they start making art that looks like it could be something. Our walls are plastered with their artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it when you talk about Jack's accomplishments. Makes me want to have a little one of my own. That quilt is amazing. I'm hoping to make my own wedding ring quilt someday.
    Did you say the guy used it as a dropcloth? That's a crime right there. He should be locked up in quilt prison. lol!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?