Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Spilling the beans

I see things on line that give me crazy ideas. I always think "gee, I could make that for $5." When I saw these bean bags that was the first thing I said to myself.

At some point around Christmas time I was in Hancock and the corduroy was on sale dirt cheap. I bought what I thought was gobs of it with that bean bag in mind.

It took me FOREVER to find a beanbag to cover. (Buying the bean bag filler separately is prohibitively expensive.) I finally found one in Target and set about the business of making a new cover for it.
As is usually the case around here, the problems only started multiply from the get go.

First, I did NOT have enough corduroy after all. And Hancocks no longer has any corduroy. After searching desperately around the store, I found a piece that had been sitting in the remnant bin since December. With a giant red stain on it. Whatever, I was desperate, and that was the only matching piece to be had. Home it came.

Then while I was cutting out the pieces, I marked the pattern wrong on one of the pieces. In yellow sharpie. On the right side of the fabric. With no more of that fabric to be had.

Ok, whatever. Must persevere.

It came together easily until it came time to fit the bottom piece with the zipper on. No matter how many times I chopped that piece smaller and smaller and smaller it was always too big.

Ok, whatever. Must persevere.

So I sewed it on with a square bottom instead.

And the beans hit the fan. Literally.

There was no way on earth to get the original bean bag into the cover, even though I had used a 21 inch zipper on the cover (and the original has an 8 inch zipper). It would not fit. So, I chopped it open, took half the beans out, shoved it into the cover and refilled it.

With beans EVERYWHERE. They are so staticky. They were all over Jack, they were all over the cats, they were all over the walls. Jack was running around screaming like a maniac, my freak cat was trying to eat them. Good times people, good times.

In fact, there are still beans under the sofa.

It's cute though, eh?

As part of Jack's room makeover* we plan to make him an enchanted forest tree .

Anyone want to take bets on how many disasters that project will involve? LOL

*It will be awhile before I get those photos up. David's parents are coming this weekend and we have not seen them since before Jack was even able to walk. I have some freaking out, errr cleaning, to do. :-)

25 comments:

  1. It's a labor of love, my dear.

    I had my own horrible experience with microbeads last year (??). Those things are terrible. Never again.

    (Very cute, btw.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. good for you for persevering - it is cute! adorable, in fact.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gee, that sounds like a lot of fun! Turned out great, though, and you have a story to tell to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it was worth the effort - that is really cute. i tend to use one the kiddo's washable markers to mark fabric. not sure if that is orthodox, but i am prone to mistakes and it comes right out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doesn't is just look that much better now that it's finished? I love the turtle! Good luck on the Enchanted Forest tree, I know it will turn out gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just reading what you said on your earth day post about clorox green works. I'm so glad to hear that it's not just me. Not only does the stuff smell terrible, but it took my breath away. I felt like I had a difficult time breathing altogether when I used it. Just glad I wasn't imagining the awful stench. Terrible stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hahahaha It's adorable...and it sounds like you guys had fun making it. :) hahaha I like picturing Jack running around with the beans stuck to him, while the cats are trying to eat them. CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Problems aside, ya done good! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job Sarah -- it's soooo cute! Good luck with the freaking out -- I'd be freaking out too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vicki9:24 AM

    Great story! Might I add that unstuffing a vintage feather pillow also makes an ungodly mess and may prompt the neighbor's little son to say, in August, over the fence, Dad is that snow? Vicki at hollyhocks.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so funny! Makes me smile to see I am not the only one whose sewing eyes are so much bigger than my sewing stomach. Turned out awesome in the end tho! Looking forward to seeing the tree. That site was awesome! Have fun with the inlaws.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks like it was worth the effort! Very cute. By the way, do you know why I can't right click and add your blog to my favorites? We got a new computer, and I miss having you on my favorites list.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, it turned out adorable. However I think I will add that to my list of things to never try and make!
    When I was young my brothers and I got bean bags for Christmas. This was in the days when you could unzip the bag and the little balls were right there waiting to spill out. Somehow I convinced my little brother to open his and spin it around the room. Ha! It was like a blizzard in that room! He got in so much trouble and I was so proud of myself (hee hee hee!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. volheOh, what a memory. I, too, made bean bag chairs back in the early 70's with close to the same results. I but yards and yards of fabric, had trouble with the zipper and had white "beans" sticking to our clothes for months.
    Yours looks to be perfection, despite the hair-pulling experience.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am such a "Non sewer" that when I was reading this, I thought you were making bean bags like you throw at the clown's mouth at the Carnival. "Gee, that can't be too hard", I thought. And, "Why doesn't she just use pinto beans", I thought. Yea, I'm a bright one today. I can just picture Jack trying to carry around a 100 pound "bean" bag.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You always manage to crack me up. LOVE the beans story!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this post... it sounds SO much like what happens to me on a daily basis... and when folks plan to come over - the first thing my DH says is "Now, don't do the freak out like you always do"... Ha! Little does he know.

    Anyway - I love the bag, even if it was a pain in the heiny - it's adorable. I can't wait to see what the room looks like. I'm hoping to re-do my daughter's room soon too. We'll see...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hmmm...are you sure that wasn't one of MY projects? LOL
    That's usually how they go here at the Niesz house, too.

    If its any consolation, it looks fantastic! I love the little flower power turtle.

    And enjoy the visit of your In-Laws!

    Kimberly :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's even cuter than I imagined!! :) I love your turtle applique.

    Good luck this weekend. I'm a phone call or email away should you need to scream. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well at least it was worth it-the bag looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cute, cute, CUTE! I have been mulling over the idea of changing my daughters room into a woodland theme. A very girly woodland theme that is.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just a note: Sometimes you can get rid of some of the static electricity with a dryer sheet. At least you can rub it on your hands and clothes to keep stuff from clinging to you. This works pretty well with styrofoam packing peanuts, and even helps when your clothes want to cling to your slip or pantyhose.

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh, that turtle is just too cute! sorry it was such a pain but looks wonderful, how fun!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?