Monday, April 14, 2008

U says yew

(I had a totally different post ready to go up today, but this mama is so excited about what just happened here that there is a brief change in programming plans.)
The sun was shining here for a full 10 minutes, so I was trying to rush Jack along with cleaning up the lincoln logs so we could go for a walk. I heard him sitting there sounding out letters and sounds, and asking me what sound does e make and what do the letters on the can spell and looked down to see he had made letters out of the timbers. A u, a t, and an e.
He noticed that the writing on the can is done with logs, so he decided to try and spell out the name of the toy, tumble tree timbers.

How freaking cool is that?

My little baby, who is not so babyish anymore, is *this* close to reading and spelling. And he really wants to do it. He is spending hours and hours and hours every day practicing it.
It's a little hard to see his pencil marks on that paper, but last Friday he asked me how to spell cat. I spelled it for him and he wrote it down. All by himself. See it there? T-c-A-.

I swear this has happened almost overnight. Last week I was worrying that he couldn't draw a stick figure, much less a letter. This week he wants to write words!

I think I might swoon with the joy of it all.
On Friday he discovered that his little portable radio was no longer working. I remembered seeing something on a message board about an MP3 player on clearance at Target, and after reading the reviews for the only MP3 player actually made for kids, the fisher price one, we decided to just let him have this real one. (It has spongebob on it.)

He is in love with this thing. We like that we can put all kinds of music on it for him and he can control it himself (go, go, go for g). Added bonus points for it giving me the first quiet shopping trip in nearly a year. There was no screaming or crying or begging or trying to run around like a wild thing. He sat in the cart, pushed the buttons and listened to his music. Well, after we learned all about how they tint paint. (I needed pink this time, I will show you that later this week.)

Total mothering bliss I tell you.

Ok, we better get started on that walk. I see a lamp teetering very close to the edge of disaster. LOL

24 comments:

  1. This is the best stuff. And it's so fun to watch them GET it... Congratulations, little Jack! (And Mama, of course.)

    Pink paint...hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way cool Sarah! Fabulous news.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These leaps that kids take are really remarkable! Be sure there is a volume control in the MP3 player...young ears don't need to be bombarded with loud music. I sure hope you see more sun and less snow ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yay! Such wonderful news! That's so great Jack's excited about reading and spelling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huge accomplishments for your little Jack! It's such a thrill when they're learning to write. It really is something special. It's the same with reading. {The stage we're at with Nikayda.}

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's hard to get all mushy about stuff like that, isn't it???

    BTW, we are partial to E Eats Everything (as well as Go for G) in our household! God bless TMBG!!! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I meant to say hard NOT to get mushy. I do it every day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My "baby" never goes anywhere without his ipod. See, what you've started. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so cute. They grow up so fast. It is exciting to be there to watch them grow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is GREAT!!! Hooray for Jack! I am a kindergarten teacher so I get to witness this type of thing often, but I can only imagine what it feels like when it is your very own son or daughter. How exciting!! Also, it is not uncommon for these types of mental growth spurts to take place this time of year. The sudden increase in sunshine allows our serotonin levels to rise, in turn spiking brain activity and energy levels; though I know you haven't had all that much so far;) Hooray...spring is here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Way to go Jack!! Why do I feel like he'll be able to spell "vintage tablecloth" in no time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hopefully, you will always be in awe whenever he "gets" something new. I am still astounded when mine can do something new! And he's 12!

    That is one cute boy you have!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is amazing how quickly they get to understand it all
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aaahhh. So cute!
    That's quite an accomplishment.
    I know you're a proud mama.

    Kimberly :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Three Cheers for Jack! PLUS! Three Cheers for Mama for capturing the moment of film forever!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Way to go, Jack!
    So much fun!

    Sarah, I have tried to e-mail you, but my "outlook" isn't working properly....I'm going to put my e-mail on this post (nervously), so that you can contact me about the apron swap.
    It's pejp5@yahoo.com.
    Thanks, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very dorky teacher moment coming... YAY FOR EMERGENT LITERACY!!! It is SUCH a cool thing to see kids start to want to read & write. I've seen it from the school side - must be even more awesome to have it be your own kid! Congrats to Jack & his Mama. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You sound oh so proud and so you should be your little man is doing a fantastic job...

    Jodie :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well holy moses! Go jack GO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Go Jack Go. It's always amazing to me how fast they learn.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ute! Three cheers for Jack! Or maybe it's "tue" or "et u" even? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. SO COOL! Way to go Jack! AND way to go mama, you are such a great one!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. CONGRATULATIONS JACK! Very, very cool! -Alexandra

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?