Wednesday, May 28, 2008

100 miles of silence?

The 100 mile yard sale was actually better than I expected it to be. It was blissfully quiet without Jack along and in contrast to the cool temps and non stop rain here, it was a broiling 95+ degrees down in the bootheel.

This barn was so creepy that Dave would not look in the broken out windows no matter how much I begged him to. He insisted it was filled with bats, lol. It was filled with birds and water, not bats, but it was a horror movie waiting to happen for sure.
And we did find junk too. Not a whole car full or anything, and about half was for Jack and Dave, but this year finding anything at all seems like a real surprise to me.

This is one of the cutest aprons ever. Love those flowers.
The guy who sold me this was pretty sure it was a broken half of a "something or other". It isn't broken at all. It's a paper towel holder that goes with my canister/cake carrier collection.
Lately for me dreams are made of feedsacks. I bought a small pile of them, including 2 and 1/2 sacks with this darling fruity print. Usually I cannot cut them up, but these are screaming to be kitchen curtains, aren't they?
A beautiful, vibrant canister set. (Actually bought at the gyspy caravan here in town on Memorial Day.)
And part of a quilt that kills me more than a little.

What kills me is that people usually cut out the good parts so you find the really ratty parts left over. What is left over is in nearly perfect condition. So assuming that the parts she cut off were good bits, she took the scissors to a perfectly fine, beautiful old quilt.

Kills me I tell you. Sometimes the whole "repurposing" thing really goes too far.

Anyway, enough of that. I will put more pictures up on the old Flickr account. There are tablecloths and more feedsacks and more aprons and a few other bits and bobs.

We will definitely be doing that sale again next year, assuming gas doesn't cost $18 a gallon by then. LOL

P.S. While we were there I saw two vintage quilts with bright orange borders and sashing. I have never seen orange before, at least not in quilts that look to be of the 1940's or earlier vintage. And there don't seem to be any on Ebay? They were too expensive, but they were so interesting. Do you see them with orange where you live? Or maybe you have one? I would love to see photos of it if you see them or have one.

24 comments:

  1. I have never hear of a 100 mile yard sale, but I'd sure like to know where to find one. I am a yard sale/thrift store junkie. That would be really fun, sans the hot weather. You found some really great things. I really loved the paper towel holder and how cool that it matches things you already have. I love your blog.
    Best,
    Kimberly
    http://www.kimberleekreations.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those cannisters. That quilt makes me so sad! Why?? And it's not even a normal square cut, it's all wonky. Ack. Looks like it was a worth-it trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your treasures! Especially the paper towel holder thingie! Wow, you should have heard the curses that went through my head when I saw that chopped up quilt. I probably would have been sick had I seen it in person. What a shame, but I'm glad you rescued it!

    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok if someone hadn't cut that quilt apart they wouldn't be selling it. Look at it that way. I'd probably cut the whole thing down and rebind it or something. Its darling. I have one nearly just like it that I made from feedsacks. I love it. Everything you get is so terrific I can't believe it. That apron is too much though! I love it. I'm so jealous of your finds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I audibly gasped when I saw the big bite out of that quilt! Ack! Well, I guess now it might make it easier for you to cut into the rest, since it's already chopped up. Eek.

    Cute paper towel holder! Are you going to put it up and use it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. barbara2:21 PM

    I think cutting into a quilt like that must be against the law somewhere. It sure seems criminal! Love your paper towel holder; that's one of my favorite patterns. The sale sounds like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would suspect that a man cut up the quilt to get a rag to wipe off the oil dipstick or something. I would hope and pray any woman would have the common sense to appreaciate such a beautiful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the paper towel holder is tooo adorable! I love it when I get a great deal on something "broken." hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  10. please tell me that your blog post title is an oh-so-subtle play on a particular classic lit title. sorry...I'm a total book nerd. . always nose in book. . and I am very impressed with the miles you cover to in search of treasure. Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Boy, do you have great luck or what? That's awful about that beautiful quilt. Maybe they cut out the bad part so it would look good? Yeah, that's it, just tell yourself, that's it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally agree about the repurposing thing. Especially after thinking about all the work that went into the quilt in the first place. Like everybody else, I’m interested by the paper towel holder. I don’t think I have seen anything like. How does it work, on it’s side or does it stand up?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought about you the other day when I was window shopping at Hobby Lobby. They have some cute calico, it's black with aprons all over it. And it's 30% off this week!
    Osagebluffquilter

    ReplyDelete
  14. One day I am going to go to that yard sale. I have wanted to every since I saw it on HGTV. You found some great items. I love that paper towel holder!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great finds! I love the paper towel holder!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely treasures, as usual.

    There used to be (and maybe still is) a creepy-ish barn near the VA/NC border that had vintage/antiques piled high. It was always like 300 degrees in the summer and below 40 in the winter. It had some neat treasures, but it was a scary place.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am pretty sure I have a quilt top at home with bright orange borders and one with bright yellow. I'll try to take some pics this weekend to see if this is the kind you mean.

    Both are 40's 50's quilts.. one is applique I believe...

    ReplyDelete
  18. What cool finds! That's awesome that you found that paper towel holder, what luck. I love that blue apron too, too cute. Seems like an excellent outing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That quilt is killing me too, but what are you going to do with it now that it is 1/3 chopped?

    Glad you were able to find some treasures and get a little peace and quiet!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow - I CANNOT believe all the great stuff you find!! Love the paper towel holder - I have a Ransburg collection, too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love that paper towel holder! It'd be so cute hanging in your kitchen.

    That is so sad, the quilt is cut up. It's so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I seriously love each and every one of your treasures, but I have a special fondness (aka, obsession) with vintage aprons and the color yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks like the sale was a lot of fun and you found some great treasures! I about had a heart attack when I saw that quilt though!! What are people thinking sometimes! I mean they could have at least used the majority of the quilt if they were going to cut it at all. What a shame!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have that same paper towel holder and canister set. I can't get my jumbo Costco paper towels in them. I think I'm going to put a dowel in in and hang kitchen utensils off of it.

    Cheers! LA

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?