Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Make it, day 3

Thank you for all of the kind, thoughtful comments yesterday. I've read each one of them several times, I reread as much of the parenting book as I could, I completely ignored the house, and we spent most of the day playing outside and making things.

Today is already a much better day.
Today's make it is a project I saw in the Winter '07 issue of Somerset Life. (If you don't already read that, you should. It's a bit pricey, but only published 4 times a year, and I always get good ideas from it.)

I found this old tray shoved in the back of a cabinet when I was clearing things out for a yard sale a few weeks ago. I nearly threw it away because it was really getting rusted from my foolishly having served pickles on it years ago.
So, I sanded off the rust and spray painted it pink. Voila! A sweet magnetic tray.

Then I stuck it in the middle of our fridge using those command adhesive things.
I had cleared all the usual junk off our fridge just before my ILs arrived and it was looking bare. This really sweetens it up.

I love this idea so much. If I had more of those trays I would be painting them in every color of the rainbow.

(Edit: Since several of you have asked, the paper doll is a freebie from Wee Wonderfuls . A few years ago I went through a magnetic paper doll phase. Jack loves dressing her, your kids will love it too. The directions are in that years ago link.)
On Saturday we took Jack to the local kite festival. It was his first time flying a kite (we have tried before but really struggled with finding a place to do it in our very populated little city).

He loved every minute of it, and it was a perfect day for it. Warm and windy with just enough sun.
And I really enjoyed it too, just sitting in the grass taking hundreds of pretty pictures.

He was fascinated by the more interesting kites, which were all bugs according to him, and he informed me that he wished he was a kite.

Maybe this weekend we will try put put golf...

20 comments:

  1. Cute idea for the trays. Is the girl on it painted??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are having a better day today. I just bought an old tray like that last week for 10¢ and I spray painted it white. I was thinking of doing some sort of a collage on it or something. One of my many "to do" items. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah!! You're brilliant!!! I have a silver tray on a pedestal that I picked up at the Swap Shop for free and I was getting bored of it. It needs paint!!!!! Pink paint. Or aqua paint. Or ANY kind of paint! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All right. Where'd you get that little paper doll girl? She's so cute! I love the tray idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful idea for the tray! I love that you are re-using it in a whole new way : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. glad your day is a bit better. what a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your tray is really great. Love the color. Love the kite pictures, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey I have one of those exact trays! And it looks crappy, too. What a fabulous idea. Thanks Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the tray PINK! The wee wonderful looks Fabulous on it too. Glad you had a better day :) Mine have been under my skin all day!!! Deep Breaths.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your painted tray!! What brand of spray paint did you use? That is a very pretty shade of pink...

    As for your trials with Jack, it will get better. Anyone who says the two's are horrible haven't been through the three-year old phase!! I shudder at the memories...!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got a brass tray recently thinking that I could clean it up for a friend. Alas, it was just brass coated and it's beyond hope. I do think it might be magnetic tho...

    How's Jack's room redo going? If that pillow is any indication, it's going to be awesome! Have you ever submitted pics to a magazine?

    ReplyDelete
  12. i've just been catching up on your blog. love your crafting ideas!
    sorry to hear about the rough patch with jack. i have my days with my son, too. i don't know if you really wanted any advice, nor whether i actually have any, since i am frustrated myself a lot, but i did like the idea one poster had about letting your child know what was going to happen each day. we tried that (we drew little pictures of the activities together), and jt loved doing the activities in the order he picked and crossing them off. there is a book, becoming the parent you want to be, that a friend of mine swears by. i am not sure if it is actually helpful, but i'll just throw it out there. what about crafts for jack? while you are working on yours, he could have special crafts he can do? at this age, he could do some rudimentary embroidery besides the regular kids gluing, etc?
    if you come up with some good ideas, please share them, since i would love to have more of those enjoyable days with my son as well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jack is so cute! hahaha love his pictures. :)

    by the way, the pink is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad things are better with you guys, Love the tray idea I think I hear some calling me from the store room:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The tray is such a neat idea-especially for stainless frigs.

    Glad your having a better time. I remember those days of wondering where "me" went and feeling like I wanted to lock myself in the bathroom just to survive another day. One of my friends shared with me "think of it in stages-this too shall pass" and it does pass.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a delightful tray makeover :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the tray idea! And I'm glad you're feeling better. :)Love the photos of Jack!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad things sound like they're going better. :)

    I need a painted tray! After seeing Shara's, and now yours, I know exactly what I'll do with the old trays I've been hanging on to. They make such pretty magnet boards. Can you recommend a spray paint? I haven't had to paint any metal yet, but I have a ton of things that need it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh you made one. I want to do. I have to find a platter. Yours is perfect xoxox Clarice

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?