Thursday, May 22, 2008

Make it, day 4

A long, long, long time ago, I bought this Martha book . As soon as I done reading it, I went on Ebay and bought myself a big lot of vintage belt buckles to make one of the projects in the book.

And then they sat in a jar for something like 8 years.

But, it's make it week around here, and I wanted something fresh and new, so I pulled them out and got started. (I do feel like I should mention that this project has taken several days, unlike the other projects I have done this week, which have been in the 1-2 hour range.)
Martha has shown them as picture frames, but I didn't want the hassle of trying to find photos that were going to fit (some of the frames are very tiny) or trying to print all those photos.

Both of the small drawers on my sewing desk are filled with tiny scraps of vintage prints that I recently reorganized. When I was organizing them I fell in love with them all over again, but had no clue what to use those tiny, precious pieces for.
This is the perfect project for it. It really showcases those very small prints, requires only a tiny bit of fabric (sometimes the size of a nickel), and it makes them feel very special.
How cute are these super small see-sawing kids?
Or a jeweled buckle holding a piece of feedsack?
I hung them on the wire tree with the button flowers. There are some empty branches still, so I either need to find more buckles (I have gobs more prints I can use) or make more button flowers.

I am COMPLETELY smitten with this project.

I will put the close up of each and every frame on Flickr. I wish I was a better photographer, they are hard to get a photo of, and it doesn't help that it is raining.

I do have a few hints that Martha doesn't offer if anyone wants them and thinks they are going to attempt this. Let me know and I will post them next week.

There will be no make it day tomorrow, as Dave and I are off to the 100 mile yard sale without Jack. I am looking forward to a gorgeous ride in the country, peace and quiet and hopefully some good junk! Junking this year has been pretty stinky around here, despite it being Memorial Day weekend already. (!?!?! Crazy.)

So make it week will extend into next week.

Have a lovely long weekend everyone!

24 comments:

  1. I'm completely smitten with it too! love it! Have fun at the 100 mile sale!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute idea.

    I love that seesaw fabric...looks feedsack-y. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see what you find at the 100 mile sale too - that should be a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness - it looks fab!! And I jealous of you going to the sale - have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Count me completely smitten, too. I must do this. Good luck at the sale. The sale season has been s-l-o-w here too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember that project, and remember thinking where in the world I'd ever find photos so tiny! LOL Please do post your hints. Martha's never very forthcoming with the hints, is she?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi -
    Great project.
    Just wanted to let you know I've been enjoying your blog. I have a 22 mo. old son and 5 yr. old daughter. I too love to sew and craft. I'm always inspired by other women out there who continue to be great mothers and also continue to nuture their creative side.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 100 mile yard sale. Be still my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I could go to that yard sale :( You are so patient with the whole tiny frames/ buckles, they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a great project very well executed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, I love this project! I have the same wire tree, and the buckle frames go with it perfectly. I'd appreciate any hints. I bookmarked this project for when I come across old buckles at garage sales. (I don't have any yet!)

    Enjoy your long weekend - and have a blast garage sailing. Enjoy the time with just the two of you. We all need that from time to time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are an inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. tammyCA3:29 PM

    What a great idea - those are some nifty buckles, too - love the use of vintage fabrics. Please share the hints, I may have to find some belt buckles now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is just too cute!! Cant wait to see what you find at the yard sale!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bravo on the craft project Sarah! Have big fun at the yard sales. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow Sarah! I'm finally getting caught up and you've been busy. These little buckles are adorable! Have a great time at the sale.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely idea the belt buckle project is: I'm going to have to start looking out for buckles. Do post your tips, please.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE those!
    And being the fabric freak that I am, I think they look better your way than with photos.

    Oh my, how cute would they be as brooches...or fridge magnets!

    I hope you have fun at your sale. Find lots of treasures.
    Its been slim pickins around here, too. I'm itchin for a good flea market or yardsale.

    Kimberly :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree with Dana, brilliant !!! Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, they're so lovely! What a wonderful idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Really inspired idea! Martha would be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thats such a clever idea, I love seeing things utilised into usefull things and display items, far to pretty to be hidden away.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?