Sunday, June 01, 2008

Detours

We set out yesterday at a perfectly decent hour to do some yard saling. I was all excited because for the first time this year there were plenty of garage sales to be had, and stuff at the first few looked interesting.

After only an hour or so (with Jack in tow that equals about 3 yard sales), we nearly ran over a turtle that was in the middle of a busy road. We turned around to get him out of the road and discovered that sadly he had already been hit by a car and his shell was cracked on the bottom.

So the rest of the afternoon was spent hunting down a turtle rescue organization here in St Louis, and delivering our injured turtle to a rehabber.

Jack was sad to leave the turtle behind, but I hope he makes it, and his best chance was certainly with someone who can devote the time to getting the shell healed. (The shell on a turtle is living tissue. Did you know that? It was news to us.)
(This quilt has been in my collection for almost 10 years now I think.)

Linda tagged me for the 5 things about me meme, so here goes:

1. What was I doing 10 years ago?

Hmmmm, in June 1998 my grandmother was killed in a car accident. I was raised by my grandmother, so this was particularly devastating for me. It turned my whole world upside down. I am pretty glad to be here in 2008 instead.

2. Name five things on my to-do list today.

It is pretty late in the day already, but it did include go to Costco, sweep the patio, go to the flea market, work on some laundry (has not happened), and try and get the last 4 months worth of Jack photos onto a CD so I can get them printed.

3. Five snacks I enjoy:

Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate, chocolate, and chocolate. I would probably eat ants if you dipped them in chocolate.

4. Things I would do if I was a billionaire:

This question is always hard for me, because I am mostly content with our current life. I would probably see more movies (will I ever get to go see Sex & the City before I accidentally am spoiled on the ending?), have Dave work part time so he could help more with the Jack attack, and travel (I did that a lot in my early 20's and I miss it).

5. Five places I have lived.

Other than 2 years in Clearwater FL, I have been out in the western 'burbs of St Louis my whole life. Oddly enough, I am ok with that. It's lovely to go other places and see other things, but St Louis is home, warts and all.

Later this week I am going to sit down and answer all of your questions. This week will be a Jack attack week around here. 5 days of Jack! We are going to the big day out with Thomas next Saturday in Kansas, which was so gorgeous last year, and we are all looking forward to it. Plus it will hopefully mean another visit with great grandma and grandpa, it's been too long...

10 comments:

  1. Poor turtle - LOVE the camera! Connor loves taking pictures of everything...
    We have friends in High Ridge - I have been trying to convince my husband to move there - we just need to find a good job there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope the turtle will be ok
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  3. We brake for turtles, too - thanks for rescuing him. (her?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your grandmother must have been a special lady. I'm sure you have done her proud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s been a long standing tradition for my family to stop and pick up turtles. Today I was riding home alone with my son when I saw a young box turtle in the road. I quickly turned around and picked him up. I was so excited, but my husband thought I was crazy. I let him go at our house so hopefully he will stay away from the highway for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There was a giant snapping turtle in the road on Saturday, too. We turned around and Joe tried to get it off the road by guiding it with an orange road cone. It was a feisty thing and kept biting the cone. He finally got it off onto the shoulder. We hope it made it to its destination safely and didn't try to cross the street again. And it was BIG!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously, I read your adorable blog and had no idea we live in the same place, well area anyway. Oh and I always risk my life to move turtles. Do you remember the "search" for the missing turtle in Chesterfeild? I think it was last spring, too funny. They found it, but how does a big turtle escape that quickly ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh and if the flea market on your list is the one that is every Sunday, I am sure we have accidentally bumped into one another more than once ;) It is a small world.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have rescued a turtle from the middle of a busy road too. Twice actually, two days in a row. At the same intersection. I think it was the same turtle honestly. He just wasn't content with his surroundings I guess. We were on an army base so maybe that had something to do with it. I looked my turtle up because he had and interesting shell and turns out he wasn't a turtle but a diamond back tortoise and they're endangered so I felt I did a good thing for the world, both times. I hope your turtle is ok. Will you be able to find out?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just popped over from Built to Last. Your blog is fun! And your sensibility is a lot like my mom's. (She has an antique store in Maine.)

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?