Wednesday, June 04, 2008

It's a Jack attack, take 3

Every time I see those kits in the stores to grow a plant in an eggshell I am tempted to buy them. But my "I can make that for a lot less money" gene kicks in and I never do.

Since I was thinking about ways to entertain Jack on Monday while I was making breakfast, I actually remembered to save the eggshells.
We filled them yesterday and added some flower seeds that have been sitting in my mail sorter for something like 2 years. (Hey, they came in the mail free on some sort of advertising thing and I knew I would find a use for them.)

Jack has been very into eggs and hatching this year. When we went to the zoo he wanted to spend plenty of time touching all the fake eggs they have everywhere. It's pity we didn't get a bird's nest we could watch this spring.
I hope they actually sprout.

Jack gives this project 2 thumbs up!

For the past few days he wakes me up asking, "Mom, what number am I"? "Three Jack." "But I want to be number 4. How many more sleeps until number 4?"

I had already been feeling a little nostalgic as we moved him to a different carseat yesterday. We never used a baby bucket thing, so he has been in the same convertible carseat since he was born. Suddenly he is way too tall for that carseat, so we have moved on up to a much bigger, seemingly much more grown up Graco Nautilus. And now he is ready to rush right on past number 3? Sniff.

We are attempting to see the first free summer series movie this morning. Hopefully we will actually be able to get a ticket and he will sit through half of it.

17 comments:

  1. Good morning!

    I have seen people plant seeds in a potato too. Grass seed works great because you can give it a hair cut. Then add the MR. Potato Head eyes etc... Granted, that project would have a very short life. In the classroom, I have used a paper cup decorated like a face to make fake chia pet people. Enjoy your movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good golly it's been a LONG time since I've checked blogs! (we moved and lots of other drama.)

    Tell Jack that he can't grow anymore, that what I tell my kids. They promptly tell me, yes they can.

    I'm going to save my shells tomorrow. Hannah especially will get a kick out of this project! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like fun! We attempted the movies a couple of times last summer and they were crazy crowded! I hope you guys get a seat, and enjoy the movie ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. we tried the eggshell thing and planted beans, then transfered them to a large pot. that kept the kiddo interested for oh, five minutes.
    i think we might try the bird craft today, thanks for passing on good ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope those seeds grow! With my luck they would not. It is so neat to watch children watch seeds grow! We have some semblance of a vegetable garden in our backyard. I'm letting all the RAIN water it!

    Have a great day and tell Jack to slow down with the growing up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I love the picture of grinning Jack with his eggshell planters. Be sure to show us the progress of his blooms.

    My Laura had the obligatory pine seedling in the milk carton in third grade. We actually planted this seedling and now the tree is over 5 feet tall.

    My kids always use to count "how many sleeps until" whatever the event was. How blessed you are to be with him while he is so young and full of wonder. Enjoy the movie!

    Hugs!
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanted to tell you about a book that we have to do crafty stuff for kids. Here is a link to some of the stuff we did from it. It really rocks! http://daylifein.blogspot.com/2008/04/lots-of-cool-crafts.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. But 3 is so fun because you're no longer terrible 2 and you can get away with way more than 4. I just think Jack hasn't thought this out fully yet :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. great project - I hope they sprout too! I've been wanting do to some planting with my kids - we don't have a yard (well, not one that we do the yard work for) so something like this might be just the thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As an adult I still get excited about watching seeds grow. Just last evening I brought in a pot of dirt to show my husband at the kitchen table the very tiny sprouts of cilantro that started to grow. Your next project is to stick a sweet potato in a jar of water. He'll even get to watch the roots grow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I give the project two thumbs up, too! :) I hope they sprout!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree they grow up to fast.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow--that looks like fun! I bet James would be into it. His Grandma just sent him Magic Beanstalk beans in the mail from Maine--we should plant those in the eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What fun things you have lined up for Jack this summer! He's so lucky to have such a crafty mama

    ReplyDelete
  15. His hair is ADORABLE! I always wanted to be a red head!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fun idea. I hope they sprout fast!

    ReplyDelete
  17. how sweet! i hope the eggs sprout too! i love things growing out of eggs!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?