Sunday, June 22, 2008

Lemonade

Yesterday I was seriously disgusted with the state of the junking universe. Garage sales continue to be few and far between, and the ones I do find seem to be loaded with used tires, dirty clothes and bullets (!!).

Definitely not the kind of junk this girl is looking for.

The only redeeming thing about yesterday is that my favorite quilt shop owner in the entire world had her basement open for a few hours yesterday. She is still trying to liquidate stock since she closed the store a year or more ago. It was nice to visit with her, chat about quilts and get another taste of her gorgeous fabrics.

I am pretty sure that if I could only buy vintage fabrics and 1930's repro fabrics it would be enough for me. I rarely feel the urge to buy any other fabric these days.*
So I vowed to get up extra, super duper early to go to the flea this morning. I was so early that I passed several dealers on their way in on the highway. I was there well before 7 am, and it's a good thing I was, because had I gone at 8 like usual, it would have black outside and raining.
I didn't find more than I could carry or more than I could afford (oh those are the days!), but I love what I did find.
And this. Oh this. Oh how I love it. At first I walked away from it because he wanted $20 for it and it really, really needs to be cleaned.
It has mildew spots on it which are highly intimidating. And not just a few of them either.

I have bought a fair amount of stuff from this guy, and I know him to be very fair and very friendly. I HATE to pull out the "oh, it's dirty and needs to be repaired, blah blah blah" card, I know they hear it all the time. But in this case, it was true and unavoidable.
He took $15 for it. And I love it more and more. Look at how she has gathered those inner petals!

I will be taking my sweet time figuring out how to very gently clean it. And then I need to do something about rebinding it.

Ahhhhh, turning lemons into lemonade.

A very, very good thing.

*If they ever get my sewing machine repaired so I can actually sew again. The Husky dealer takes at least a month every single time any little thing goes wrong with it. Frustrating stuff.

17 comments:

  1. Beautiful, worth getting up early. Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the feeling you are going to clean up that beautiful quilt and restore all of its loveliness! Glad to hear you had some good luck. You deserved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That quilt is amazing! And to think you got it for $15!! What a find!!

    Let us know how the clean up goes on it. Someone put a lot of time into that quilt and it REALLY shows!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That quilt is really pretty! I hope you can get it clean. Oh, and I really like those planters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful quilt. I knew someone that cleaned and restored old quilts and she said that she would just stick them in a bucket of water until the stains came out. I asked her how long and she said that sometimes it takes months but it works. (I have never tried this). She changed the water a lot (I do not remember how much a lot was, but I am guessing at least once a week.) Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have a vintage quilt i am studying right now too. looks like you had a great time and great deals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that quilt is so beautiful. wonderful work. i hope you are able to get it just hpw you want it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You find the best quilts! Those flower pots are great, too. The sales here haven't been too great either, but at least no bullets.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you can get that quilt cleaned up. I love the little pleats. Maybe a Tide pen will work on the white parts?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vicki9:28 PM

    I am always in awe of your quilt finding skills.... Would you show us the collection some time? I love every one you've shown so far. Vicki at Hollyhocks.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I miss the flea market, we used to live close to one but not anymore. That quilt is beautiful I hope it cleans up for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You always find just the perfect things. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a steal...that quilt is beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh geez, i am green for everything you got. check tipnut for tips on cleaning that badboy! i think i even saw something on getting rid of mildew there
    awesome scores

    ReplyDelete
  15. what great stuff! LOVE the quilt. I see it has started the sunning process:)I sat my cabinet out side for 2 days and it no longer smells like stinky smoke:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow Sarah! That quilt is beautiful -- I can't believe you almost walked away LOL. And Congrats on your three year milestone!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful quilt! And I cannot belive the prize! Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?