Sunday, June 29, 2008

Lions and Berries and Cookies, oh my!

Ok, so there are no lions. I had the Wizard of Oz in my head. The weather this weekend has been gloriously unsummerlike. Cool and cloudy and perfect really. Instead of wasting time with garage sales yesterday, we went back to the farm to pick raspberries.
(Yes, I went back, even though the strawberry experience was the pits.) Clearly it went better. Jack had a good time, Dave and I had a good time. It was a winner.
I am not usually a raspberry fan, but oh my goodness, right off the bush these things are the best berries ever. We all ate more than our share while picking. And me, the woman who would rather order pizza than cook, is going to make jam.
I think I might go back this week and pick more. Yum-O. Seriously.

And the other Yum-O, the oatmeal banana cookies. I sort of altered some kind of internet recipe, I have no idea where it came from (I am bad about bookmarking). Whenever I cook I just tend to use whatever is handy, which doesn't always work out, but these things are delicious. We ate them all in one day.

Banana Oatmeal Cookies
1/2 cup sugar
1 stick butter (you might be able to use less, I didn't try)
1 egg
1 super ripe banana
1 1/2 cup flour (whole wheat would work too)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 3/4 cup quick oats
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
milk chocolate chips (have no clue how many we put in there, I just let Jack dump some in)

ETA: Mix it for awhile. Dave made some and didn't mix them very long and they weren't as soft. I know, real technical eh? I am so not Paula Deen or Rachel Ray.

Drop on cookie sheet (I have a silpat, you probably need to grease it if you don't) and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

We made ours BIG, so they were like fluffy little banana breads.

Enjoy!

11 comments:

  1. I am defiantly going to try this. I buy bananas from my 15 month old, and they always seem to get too ripe before he eats them. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raspberries are so much more fun to pick than strawberries. He's such a doll.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh baby! those look so yummy! wish we had a place like that around here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got lucky-- the people that lived here before us planted loads of raspberries and blackberries! The raspberries are ripe and we've been picking everyday. I combine the raspberries with the mulberries and strain out the seeds and make what I like to call crazyberry jam. SO good! Blackberries will be ripe in a week or two, but also expecting the baby to pop out soon, so the blackberries might end up as wine.... less work for me and none of it goes to waste!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those cookies look great and I just happen to have one superripe banana sitting on my counter! Raspberry jam is the best, especially the left over jam on the spoon at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad you posted that recipe-can't wait to try. I will have to hide a banana though.

    Isn't it nice when you plan an outing and it works out so nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel the same way about cooking as you do! :)

    The berries look amazing. The cookies sound so yummy. Now I need my banana to ripen up!

    Cheers!
    LA

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad some good berry "karma" came your way! It's amazing how cool weather and a nice weekend can be so restorative!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those raspberries look devine! Fresh jam will be even better!

    Hey, I nominated you for a bloggy award. Aren't you excited? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! I'm going to have to try these when the weather cools down a little. {We don't have air, so I'm boycotting my oven.}

    re: your post below, I'm with you on wishing it were fall! I can't wait either.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gracious!!! Look how BIG he is!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?