Friday, June 27, 2008

Oh, a whole bunch of whatever

So, it's Friday. It's hot. I don't have the first clue where this week has gone really.

I am absolutely DYING to have my sewing machine repaired. It's been weeks now. I have things I want to make, things that need to be repaired. I need to sew.
Jack and I went to a garage sale on Wednesday where I picked up a big handful of old Halloween decorations.
Aren't they cute? I am a crazy person. I am already wishing for Halloween! Pumpkins and fall leaves and apple cider and pumpkin patches. Man do I love Halloween.
These are the oldest ones, and have been ever so carefully refolded since I brought them home to bring their honeycomb back to life.
I saw a Frugal Friday feature on Twiddletails last week, and I love that idea. I think I will try and do that for awhile.

My frugal tip for the day today is: make your own microwave popcorn. It's fast, it's cheap and it's free of all those fake buttery chemicals in the other stuff. Just buy regular popcorn kernels, put about an 1/8 of a cup of them into a brown lunch bag, fold over the top a few times and pop for about 2 minutes in the microwave. Yummmy, fresh popcorn with no weird stuff.

A bag of kernels used to cost me less than a dollar and it lasts forever. That probably means it's around $3 right now. LOL Still cheaper than prepacked microwave corn though!

We are still loosing those levees left and right around here. This is the latest, brought down by a muskrat. :-( There used to be a sign on the highway right by our house that said, "There are only 2 kinds of levees - those that have failed and those that will."

I was reading part of a book on line last week that said our county has the highest frequency of floods and flood related damage in the entire United States. Crazy.

I will be back with that cookie recipe this weekend.

Happy Friday to all!

26 comments:

  1. WOW a garage sale on wed, so awesome!! Love the halloween decorations, makes me long for fall also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love your fall finds! I adore vintage holiday stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The owl with the candy face is the best thing ever. I am jealous. It is so stinking cute. You are one lucky girl when it comes to finding vintage goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such cute Halloween finds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those decorations are the bomb!! I've always wanted to say that. Do I sound like I'm twentysomething. Hope so. No, really they are very cool. I am going to ponder very hard over making my own microwave popcorn now. VERY frugal. LOve it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is the way we do popcorn here too. Boy does it ever save some major coin!!

    I heard of the news the other day that the micro stuff may actually not be good for you so maybe you are on to something!!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You lucky girl. I love Halloween, too, and who doesn't love vintage Beistle?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those decorations! Thanks for the popcorn tip too. We love us some microwave popcorn. I just do not have space to store a popper.

    ReplyDelete
  9. BECAUSE I want to be you when I grow up, I totally went to the store & bought popcorn and tried this. I quit microwave popcorn because of the effects the processing has on the microwave popcorn plant workers' health (they have their own disease - SAD), so now I can have it again! Tastes just like the air popped stuff I had growing up. AND I love the Halloween friends - they are gorgeous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. how is it that your whole bunch of whatever is always awesome? so jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. what? you can pop popcorn like that? how come i didn't know that? i feel like i've been left in the dark. now i have to run out and get some small paper bags just to try it.
    i just love that cat and the owl!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sarah, I love your decorations! I don't know if you guys take a yearly trip to Rombach's or not(we usually take more than 1), but my husband works with one of the Rombach's and he said they may not even open this year :( and if they do it will probably be just a stand. I am heartbroken. I know they threaten closing every year, but with all the change in the bottoms it is more profitable for them to sell the land :(
    Oh thanks for the popcorn tip AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the popcorn tip-I will be trying that like tonight!

    Loved the Halloween finds too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the vintage halloween goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG! I had no idea there were more of these cats. I have one that is clearly part of the same group. I got it at a flea market, and thought an older lady was going to wrestle me for it! It's my favorite Halloween decoration. Now I'll be on the lookout for some like yours to go with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope you are enjoying your weekend Sarah! :-) Yes you are crazy!! Halloween? In July? Though I must admit the decorations are worth going a bit crazy over ;-) Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Catching up on my blog reading: love is not a strong enough word for how I feel about those honeycomb Halloween decorations. Adore? Covet? Both of those. Great find. The raspberries look amazing - I can send you a recipe (gasp! me?) for raspberry streusel muffins if you're interested in gaining about 10 lbs. fast. Finally, I am going to try that popcorn. Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think we had those same cat and witch decorations when I was a kid - are they 80's ish? or am I way off?

    Thanks for the microwave popcorn tip. We air pop - but it's such a hassle to pull out the popper. I'm so lazy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just regular popcorn kernals in a bag- Oh that is the best tip ever! I too quit with the micro popcorn. My kids will be so so excited.

    Great halloween finds- I never find vintage halloween items at g-sales.

    ReplyDelete
  20. those cats. awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Are those candy corn on that owl? Adorable! I'm enjoying summer too much to be jonesing for fall yet. But it's my fave season and I know I'll be happy to see it come August.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Doris6:08 PM

    Oh my gosh---that second cat, I have exactly the same Halloween cat, it was in my Grandma's things that I got when we cleaned out her house. I LOVE vintage Halloween, thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  23. have you gotten you machine fixed yet? whereabouts in the midwest do you live? if you are close enough i have a machine you can borrow until yours is fixed..

    ReplyDelete
  24. I was dreaming of fall myself the other day! :) The decorations are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awesome Halloween goodness! You and your fam continue to have lots of lovely adventures!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?