Thursday, June 19, 2008

Yo Yo Mama

I really love making yo-yo's, they are slow going, but there is something soothing about the slowness of it. And I love yo-yo quilts. (Maybe one day I am going to luck into a gorgeous, cheap 1930's yo-yo quilt!) So I decided that what I needed to do right now was to make a doll quilt sized yo-yo quilt.

Except that it takes at least 80 yo-yo's to make even a tiny quilt.
Well then, there is no better time to put my Olfa Rotary Circle Cutter to use then, is there?

I bought it at the flea in Chicago for $3 brand new, still in the package, look at the retail price! This thing could drive you crazy though. I wish I had asked Pam before I started because she wisely pointed me to the video on their website, which helped immensely with making this gadget work.

I sat on the porch last night for hours waiting for the big strawberry moon to come up thinking I could just yo-yo myself into oblivion! LOL I still love my yo-yo lampshade too.
Speaking of love, instead of going to the movies as usual yesterday Jack and I went garage saling. Man oh man, there was so much dreck out there. I wish people would put their trash in the trash can instead of leading me 12 miles into a subdivision looking for it. So we gave up and went to Goodwill.

The thrifts are still really dreadful this year (although Jack had fun, he found a new kite and a new ball and a brand new toothbrush), but this was lying on top of a bin coming out of the intake room. I knew I liked it, and it was $4.

It's the kind of thing I always look at on Ebay but can never afford. $4 I can swing.

I just quickly hung it up someplace when we got home so it wouldn't get ruined and I love it more and more every minute.

Other tids and bits:
Jack is back at school today for the summer session. He was full of questions like "is the potty far away?" "who are the teachers this time?" "What friends will be there?"

I was holding him on the porch on Monday and he said to me, very quietly, "Mom, when I am number 12 you won't be able to hold me like this." (I am pretty sure that kid of mine is destined to be at least 6'5, I will be lucky to hold him like that for another year.)

The river just keeps rising and some of the levees are starting to breach. It isn't '93, but man, there is water everywhere again . Last year I fell head over heels in love with this old house in a town that is right now sandbagging day and night to try and save their homes. :-( They are certainly on my mind today.

13 comments:

  1. I love yo-yo's!!! Your lampshade is adorable!

    Happy treasure hunting!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son is Number 12, but I still do hug him and hold him as much as I can. I haven't carried him since he was 3 1/2 because he got so tall and heavy. It broke my heart that he couldn't be carried around like most little kids. If I had known that then, I would have carried him more when he was littler. I know you want Jack to be more independent, and that is a good thing, but the growing up thing happens so fast you have to enjoy every minute of it. I don't push mine to be as ggrown up as some of the other kids his age. He is grown up and does very grown up things and is extremely smart, but if he still wants to play or do something more younger-aged appropriate (Like last night when his Daddy fell asleep on the couch, so he chained Daddy's legs to the coffee table with a bicycle chain), well, then, go for it, because once you are not a kid, you are never a kid again. (Sorry, I am feeling sad today that mine is growing up so fast.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wondering how far you were from all the flooding. Glad you and little Jack are safe! He's a wise boy, that Jack is. Better luck thrifting next time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are getting to work on a project ... I love yo-yos but lack patience. Glad also you aren't underwater - I've been hoping you and my other midwestern friends are high and at least semi-dry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy cow, now you're putting me to shame with completed yoyos Mine are still in the bag.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vicki3:45 PM

    I love everything made with yo-yos. Quilts, pillows, J.Jill had belts, purses and sweaters with them last year. Jack is quite the quotable kid. I love the way he thinks. Vicki at hollyhocks.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep thinking about you when I see the news of the floods.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry about all the water... ugh :( - sending prayers & well wishes that way!!!

    Your little guy is something special - so sweet and thoughtful! :)

    I also wanted to let you know about a giveaway going on over at the blog. If you have a chance swing on by. It lasts until midnight on Thursday (tonight!). :)

    Kristin :)

    http://homegrownrose.typepad.com/reclaimingthehome

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great find! I keep thinking about all my bloggin buddies in the mid-west and wondering how everyone is and if anyone is close to the flooding... I wonder if it will run down our way...
    Jack is too cute and getting so big. I love it when they say precious things like that. One day Miles said "Momma, being carried is like a hug." Can you tell the kid likes a lot of "hugs?"

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had no idea olfa had a circle cutter! I've always just cut them by hand. That lamp shade is darling. I love yo-yo's too. Mostly I just use them on clips in my girls hair. I'd love to make a quilt of them someday, but I'm not that ambitious yet!
    Beautiful painting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am currently making a yo-yo quilt out of clothes that my daughters and I both wore at different times. It will kind of a memory thing since I will be able to look at each yo-yo and know who and when each item was worn. My girls like to ask about the yo-yo's too.

    I found a nifty little tool from a company called "Clover." It is a template that tyou put your fabric into and cut around it and instantly you have a cicle. Let me tell you, this is so much easier than when I had to cut each circle that was traced on the back of the fabric. You might want to check it out.

    Keep up your persistance. Yo yos are a great thing to make when you are sitting and watching t.v.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have seen little yo-yo makers, my sister has one and loves it- have you ever tried them?

    I LOVE your painting-what a find!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have seen little yo-yo makers, my sister has one and loves it- have you ever tried them?

    I LOVE your painting-what a find!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?