Thursday, July 31, 2008

A gaggle of grocery getters

Many, many moons ago I recovered Jack's high chair with a vinyl tablecloth I bought at Target. It was a fairly simple project, so I have been on the lookout for cute vinyl tablecloths for other projects since then.
Sometime this spring I spotted this pink lemon version at Target and knew it had to be mine. (I used to have a pink lemon tree when we lived in Florida. Pink lemons! Yum.)

It sat around here for a few months until I decided to use it to make grocery tote bags.
A whole gaggle of grocery getters to be exact. There is a sixth one still in the sewing room because I actually ran out of serger thread.

They are a simple square bottom tote shape with what is essentially a giant buttonhole for a handle.

The $4 tablecloth makes 6 good size bags. If you want to make them, don't make them huge though without lining them with something, the vinyl will tear. And remember to get the largest rectangular tablecloth they have. They are usually all the same price, but the circle ones are considerably smaller.

P.S. Thank you all so very, very much for your kindness. It really means a lot to me.

14 comments:

  1. I love the bags!!!!! What a great idea!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your bags turned out cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job!!

    I am also glad that you got lots of comments about Jack. I was going to tell you that you did the right thing trusting your gut. I had a big long comment written in my head, but my little one (she is one) was crying and I never got back to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man! I just threw away a cute one from Target a few days ago. I had used it to make an outdoor pillow for my rocking chair. (It was good until we had a particularly rainy season and then it got yucky.) I was sick of looking at it all cut and mangled, so in the trash it went. Darn! Love those pink lemons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Sarah cut up a tablecoth, Sarah cut up a tablecloth". Okay, so it was vinyl and not vintage. But still, "Sarah cut up a tablecloth!" (They are very cute, by the way!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. barbara4:04 PM

    Really, really wonderful. And I did not know there was such a thing as a pink lemon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are really cute! So a PINK lemon tree, huh? I have been saying a want a lemon tree (we have an orange, grapefruit and tangerine tree). That sounds neat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Had I seen that tablecloth I would have covered my fridge in that print! Darling!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never heard of a pink lemon tree...perhaps that's because I've spent all my time in New York where citrus does not grow even if I tried very hard. I love those grocery bags- what pattern did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  10. OOH! Those bags are fabulous! Have you thought about selling them? (hint, hint) xo-Mel

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that is a great idea!!! I kinda feel a little stupid because I had no idea that there was such a thing as a pink lemon!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea!!! They are beautiful!!! Way better than buying the ones the grocery stores sell!
    Have a great day!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  13. BRILLIANT!!! Seriously brilliant! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a fabulous idea! I've never heard of pink lemons!

    Everything always works out for the better. We all have our 'moments' as moms, but we get through them, and things get better. (Glad you had the courage to post about it, this blogging network is a great supporting network.)

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?