Saturday, July 05, 2008

Oooooh, Ahhhhhhhh

We sat on the front porch last night and watched the neighbors shoot off fireworks while Jack slept. Usually I am not a big fireworks fan, but it was a good opportunity to try something new with my trusty old camera.
They aren't fantastic, but, hey! I actually managed to get photos of fireworks.

That's worth an ooooooh and an ahhhhhhh.
The Queen Anne's lace is blooming everywhere right now. I pulled over to pick some while we were out and about this morning.
When I was a small child I used to love picking flowers for my grandmother, and these definitely earned more appreciation from her than dandelions or clover flowers.
I never noticed before how much they resemble a firework, but they do, don't they?

I could have taken pictures of them all day. More of the photos are on Flickr, and I changed the blog banner too.

Maybe if I am really lucky I can get Jack to clutch a fistful of them for a photo shoot. :-)

P.S. Some really amazing photos of Queen Anne's Lace can be seen here .

16 comments:

  1. I have Queen Anne's Lace growing in my side yard. We dug it up on an old dirt road near a cemetary and transplanted it last summer. It is huge and full of flowers. DH said it was a weed. How dare he.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Queen Anne's Lace! It looks so pretty in the white vases.

    That site has some amazing photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Queen Anne's lace is lovely, it looks so very nice in those white vases!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd forgotten how pretty QAL can be. It was always my youngest sister's favorite flower - everyone else considered it a weed. None here in southern California, so I enjoyed the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're Queen Anne's Lace photo makes for a lovely and pure vignette. They do look like fireworks in their far reaching blooms. I never noticed that before!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you're having a wonderful holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Queen Anne's lace looks so sweet in those vases!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the new Queenly banner! They are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. QAL is a weed in some people's eyes. It does lovely things to a whole bouquet of summer flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've had fun catching up with your posts Sarah -- looks like you've been having lots of summer fun. LOVE the new halloween decorations and laughed at the thought that you might paint hubby in his sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the flowers in vases, and before I had finished reading what you wrote, I was thinking to myself, "how clever of her to put the fireworks and the Queen Anne's together b/c they resemble one another in form". Great white vases, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your new banner. You know I didn't even realize those flowers had such a delicate name. Very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. lovely snaps. i like the way qal looks but i cant bring them indoors without causing breathing problems. my girlfriend is mad about them, so i will be passing on your bloglink to her
    thanks for the pretty eye candy
    love the vases by the by

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love queen anne's lace. I used to pull it and try to feed the root to the neighbor's horses thinking it was a carrot-needless to say, the horses didn't like it much!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I stopped to pick some of these last weekend after I saw this post. I never would have really paid attention to this lovely flower had I not seen your post earlier that day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE the pics of Queen Anne's lace. They are one of my favorite flowers - I like the white flowers in your white vases.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?