Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Too pretty

I saw these napkins in the thrift store a few weeks ago, and while I admired them, I left them there.

Too pricey? Nope. Too pretty? Yeaup. Huh? Wellllll, I am still trying to keep up with those Earth Day resolutions, and I really need napkins I can use. We have cut WAY back on paper towel use, but only if we don't actually have any paper towels. If we have them, we use them like crazy.

And these napkins with their gorgeous linen and beautiful scalloped edges and lovely little cutwork design? Way too pretty to wipe my filthy hands on.

But after 3 weeks they were still there, so I decided they were meant to be mine. And I am going to use them. Not for BBQ or Doritos, but they are going to be my napkins.
Junking is still as dry as it has been in 5 years or more. It's a little bit weird to look around our house, which we have filled with secondhand treasures and know that this year we are not adding anything to it really.

Sure I have changed out some of the smaller stuff, the accessories, but at least 75% of what we own is secondhand stuff, from the furniture to the lamps to the dishes to clothing.

Oh well, the good times had to end eventually I guess. LOL (And of course I managed to find a piece of pottery.)
Jack choose his clothes today for the first time. I did not say a word when he came out in this get up. Plaid with Hawaiian? Great, it's too pretty!

(He was holding this morning's craft project on his head, it is falling behind him in the photo. He did not give a hoot about the beans in the can, but putting stickers on it? Good times.)

So, what's new with you?

23 comments:

  1. I had the most vivid dream last night that I saw Jack on tv doing a toothpaste commercial! Seriously! I recognized him from his blog pictures and couldn't wait to tell you I'd seen it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those napkins look like a yummy icecream cone in that planter. Maybe they aren't meant to be used.

    My ds(14) was dressed similar to Jack to go golfing one day this week. Even at 14 they think stripes and prints go together. Should I not still be picking out my 14 yr olds clothes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jack's outfit made me laugh. When we got back from San Francisco my son went to day camp wearing a teal shirt, royal blue shorts, and black and white striped socks he got from Alcatraz. And that was all topped off with some red shoes.

    Snazzy.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Use those napkins! You'll feel elegant, and you are the queen of restoring linens anyway, so I'm sure you can keep them lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those napkins do look pretty!

    I've resisted temptation in stores, only to go back weeks later and see the little item just sitting there... waiting for me to come back...

    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a good look for him! Not everybody could pull that off, but he really does.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you and your pretty napkins!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those napkins! So pretty and feminine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I blogged about my yard sale finds last friday. I think I did pretty good!

    Love the napkins-- I'd use 'em too, but not for pasta meals or anything that will stain 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That son of yours is such a little Ham Bone - so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's always nice to have something pretty for yourself. Most of our big stuff (bed, tv, couches etc) was free and everything else is secondhand. But theres the trap that cos its cheap we can afford it - hence the 5 boxes of it all waiting to be redonated!
    And paper towels - don't buy them. You won't need them if you don't have them. Keep a few rags for wiping up spills and you'll discover you can totally live without them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. McCoy! It's always a good day when I find some of that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd say three weeks definitely means they were meant to be yours! And hooray for Jack - I love a nice plaid/Hawaiian combo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. those napkins would look great at a holiday table, even if they aren't for everyday. i also like to buy pretty napkins that i can't bring myself to use, since ours get covered in kethcup and berries.
    maybe the junking will pick up in the next coouple months as people try to make a little extra cash by selling their old things?
    or there will be more demand and thus less choice? we'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wearing all the colors of the rainbow is IN!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Didn't you know the Hawaiian and plaid combo is the latest fashion? No neither did I!!!!

    Gill from Canada

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm just giggling at Jack's outfit! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jack has a Jack Johnson vibe going on. Get him a ukelele, pronto.

    ReplyDelete
  19. First, I think saucy is onto something with the ukelele. Also, I have yet to figure out how to do the cloth napkin thing around here. I buy recycled napkins as it is, but we use a TON of them. My age 5 girl uses like 4 per meal, and they all look like they've been soaked in raspberry jello when she's done. Still working on that one. . .
    I occassionally rock the plaid and hawiian combo as well. Way to go, Jack!

    ReplyDelete
  20. thats fab, my son still does that at 8, i dont have the heart to make hime change....much to the dissapointment of his trendy older sister!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Sarah! Thanks for your advice on my decorating probs, I really read it w/ interest. I got on Rachel Ashwell's website afterward, and you were right. She really is a lot more 'minimal' than I thought. Very nice tip, I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I try to use everything that comes into our home and if it's not to be used then I try to get rid of it. Even though I watch my vera napkins get more stains, the joy of using them far outweighs sticking them in a drawer to look at from time to time. When I recently had our yard sale I noticed that I sold things that I bought used for either the same price or for a few dollars more. That made my rental of the item next to free. That's one way of looking at the cycle of a thrifted item.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?