Tuesday, August 12, 2008

National what?

This was my fortune when we ordered Chinese Friday night, "Opportunity is knocking on your door. Answer it tomorrow". I was so excited to see that fortune in my cookie, I almost jumped up and down. Could you ask for a better fortune on the eve of National Garage Sale Day?
Despite travelling far and wide, despite going to all the "right" neighborhoods where there are little old houses with little old ladies hoarding fabulous junk, this is all I bought. A giant Easter egg. (Well, really it is a vintage German candy container.) Giant I tell you. Jack can barely hold onto the thing, which is bigger than a watermelon.
Don't get me wrong, it is a way cool treasure. Even when I factor in the $16 I spent in gas driving far and wide. These are the kinds of things I dream about when surfing Ebay. And even though it was nearly 10 am when I got to the sale and there were a zillion people milling about, there it was, waiting for me.
The inside says Made in Western Germany.

I imagine the kid who received this totally gorged themselves on chocolate. LOL
Oh, I picked up a small handful of old fabric scraps too.
So I figured all the goods would be waiting for me at the flea on Sunday. I haven't been in weeks, there has to be stuff right?

I bought a roll of carnival tickets and nothing more. LOL I needed them though. I've decided we are going to have a big carnival birthday party for Jack this year.

Ah well. You win some, you lose some.

P.S. I finished the steroids (which make me not only VERY VERY VERY angry but very weak and generally discombobulated) on Saturday. By Sunday I was up all.night.long itching. Monday? Face and throat swelling again. Back to the doctor, back on the steroids. I am total wreck at the moment and have had to hire out the neighbor girl to help look after Jack. (Even though she is rather unreliable, right now she is more reliable than me. Scary.) Doctor says there is very little they can do for me other than what we are already doing. Yipppeee. If things are quiet, that's why. My child needs a quite attentive mother, and things quickly go to hell when I am ill.

Cross your fingers this passes soon.

26 comments:

  1. Love the giant egg, super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great egg! Hope you feel better soon!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trying to be a Mom when you are sick is the pits! Here's sending some "go away" vibes to your ailments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's one heck of an egg. Love it.

    Hope you're feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Get better, Sarah!

    I can't believe that giant egg. It's huge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the egg, its awesome! Even for the price ;) Aw, i'm sorry you are still having problems. I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no! I hope the allergic reaction ends soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never even bothered to write up a national yard sale post. Our sales were just as bad. Do you think it's a national trend? This season is far different from last season. It was very disappointing. I'm sorry to hear that you are not well. Sending healthy vibes your way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you'd think that antibiotic would be out of your system by now! Sorry to hear you've still got the itches(and nasties from the steroids).

    That is the coolest egg I've ever seen! Very nice. I like the idea of decorating for the holidays with one or two large pieces rather than dozens of little things that are hodge-podged together. That egg is just perfect!

    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that egg is fabulous! Sorry to hear you are unwell - trying to be patient and nice mum is hard when you are ill. Hope you get better soon

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ugh steroids. Sorry, they are horrific. I hope they work. The egg is darling. ANd a carnival party is so cute. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope you are feeling better soon. I know it is next to impossible to rest when you have a little one, but you just have to do it!

    That egg is fantastic. I cannot imagine how much candy must have been in that thing! Huge!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well as usual, I hate you. I collect those eggs and that one is sooooooo rocking !!!! Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The easter egg is awesome! I like how big it is! :)

    I am totally praying that you get better soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wish you were feeling better. The giant Easter egg is great. Nat'l Garage Sale Day was terrible here - the first Saturday in ages I didn't buy a single thing. Friday was good, or I'd have been really sad.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hate steroids. I am so sorry you have to be on them. I hope you can get off them soon and get back to the things you love. Best wishes, Em

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! I didn't even know they made them that size. Nice! :)

    Hope you are feeling better and that this allergy mayhem is over!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the egg, is it tin or paper? I have some German Halloween decoartions of about the same vinatge that are heavy paper.

    Also love the mexico fabric (with the donkeys!)

    And, I just love fortunes from cookies...It must have been a great day regardless of the small haul of loot!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That egg is really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh i am sorry you are feeling so miserable. its hard being sick for a length of time with a wee one. esp with allergy stuff, some people dont realize how much it takes out of you. hope you are doing better now. and what an awesome egg find!! i cant imagine the look on the face of the kid that got that!!! sometimes the pickings are sparse, but then i just figure, hey i am due next time!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh Sarah! I'm so sorry that you're still not feeling well... That is so scary. Take good care of yourself! xo-Mel PS-That egg is rather amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aaaack!!! I LOOOOOVE that egg! I have a small collection of those eggs, although not nearly that big. Lucky YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The egg is very cool. Don't ya hate when you gear yourself up and then you find one thing. But the large egg makes up for being just one thing.
    Glad that you are feeling better~
    Bristol

    ReplyDelete
  25. love that egg! and love the sweet pic!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That giant egg is a real treasure! It's in awesome shape. I hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?