Friday, August 22, 2008

Oh gross

School started again on Monday, so Jack and I are back to taking our morning walks in the cooler air.
Earlier this week we came across this GIANT cicada on the street.
I figured we would look it over and move on.
Jack says, "Hey Mom, can we take it home?" Errr. Sure. I guess.

And then he went and did the unthinkable and asked me to carry the gross little bugger home. I tried to be all cool about it* and just say that if he wanted it, he had to be the one to carry it. But he was insistent that I touch it. So still trying to play it cool I told him it was a little bit scary.
His reply? "Mom, it isn't even an animal anymore."**

"Look at it's eyes! See them wiggle?" And then he proceeds to wiggle the eyes at me.

And that is where I nearly ran away screaming. LOL

God cicadas are gross things. Yuck, yuck.

So he carries it home and promptly deposits on his nature tray. And the neighbor girl comes over after school and picks it up. The first thing she says, "Hey Sarah, for a minute I thought this was real and it was really gross."

And my reply? "It is real."

And then she throws it down and runs away screaming. LOLOLOL

Did I mention they are gross?

*I don't want Jack to get unnecessarily freaked out about stuff, so even if it is freaking me out, I ALWAYS try and play it super cool. And yes, I am a biologist who is freaked out by a dead bug. My husband seems to think this is either a) ridiculous or b) hilarious.

**I have no clue where he got the idea that a dead thing is no longer an animal. My guess is school, since we are unlikely to have given him that idea here.

15 comments:

  1. Oh my! I think they are pretty gross too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, they are totally gross. Are they black when they are smaller?

    Thanks for the probiotic bar tip, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This biologist is right there with ya! I don't do bugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny! I'm the biologist who is not freaked out by bugs though - in fact there was a spider in the hall at church a few weeks back and I had to be the one who guided it outside while all the other ladies (we were waiting for the women's meeting to start) freaked out - they couldn't believe I had actually tried to touch it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Euuuugghhh! I zoomed in to see what all the fuss was about as thankfully we don't have them over here.
    YUK. Mind you I don't like spiders and touching frogs and toads either

    ReplyDelete
  6. Euuuugghhh! I zoomed in to see what all the fuss was about as thankfully we don't have them over here.
    YUK. Mind you I don't like spiders and touching frogs and toads either

    ReplyDelete
  7. They're not gross....... Snails? Now, that's gross.... but they taste great with some bread with butter..... :) really... after cleaned and cooked of course.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is hilarious! I try to refrain from freaking out if I see a spider, but I just can't help it. Besides, you know how huge those things can be down here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You don't touch bugs?? LOL I will pretty much touch anything but a spider, or a millipede or an earwig...

    Molly

    ps, I'm assuming you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG I was at walmart today and I thought hubby was being funny and throwing something at me to scare me but it was one of these nasty HUGE bugs! I agree.... gross.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vicki7:47 PM

    I know what you mean.I worked in a group home with teenage boys years ago and they never found out any of the things I am afraid of because it would have been too iresistible....Vicki at Hollyhocks.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm on your side, I guess we should be happy our kids are so curious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Put me in the "ew gross!" camp. Madeline would love to give Jack a nature tour of our compound. We have centipede-like crawlies that are as thick as dimes, snails with shells the size of apricots, very fast little lizards, and have seen fire ants attacking a baby snake.

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a funny story. My son, who is almost 4, always brings me bugs and calls them treasures. I am way too grossed out to be interested. I try but it is hard!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jennifer7:15 PM

    The four legged, fury beast at our house considers cicadas a delicacy. She actually goes HUNTING for them this time of year. I thought they were gross before, but the thought of eating one...! Oh, and the echo of the cicada crunch in that giant mouth of hers.

    Sorry, I had to do it. I can't explain it, I just had to share that with you.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?