Saturday, August 02, 2008

Pinch me

This has been my worst summer for junk in nearly 8 years I think. Usually I am so busy acquiring new junk that it is piling up on the kitchen counter waiting to be cleaned and sorted and put away. Not this year. If I didn't know better I would just swear I had bought all the good junk that St Louis has to offer already! LOL

There was an urban thrift event downtown today, some sort of deal between Goodwill and the local brewery. We sat down yesterday and made a plan to go down there, which included riding the train to the city. And then I woke up with the worst allergy problem ever. One eye swelling shut, lips rashy and burning, and a rash growing all over me.

But Jack was on and on and on about how we were supposed to ride the train, so I took a metric ton of benadryl and off we went. I swear I must be dreaming, because there was actually stuff to buy! Like new curtains for the living room. They remind me of Liz for some reason.
More old drinking glasses. We use them everyday, and there is a fair amount of breakage around here, so I always buy them when I see them. There are actually 7 in this set, but I can hardly see to take pictures. Oy.
This looks like a teapot, but there is some kind of writing on the inside that I can't remember at the moment but makes me think it was for coffee. Missing the lid, but I can see it filled with flowers.
Potholder bloomers made from a feedsack. Cute as can be, but might end up scavenged for the fabric.
Some more ornaments. I actually saw more this morning, but they looked way too fragile to make it home on the bumpy train with everything else I had to carry.
Totally awesome candelabra lamp. She had a pair, but I didn't have enough cash. I have her phone number just in case the other one doesn't get sold. (Crossing fingers, toes, ears, etc.)
I was *this* close to buying mugs like these from someones etsy shop. I swear I admired them for days. They popped up in the thrift this week and I nearly jumped up and down. Love the patchworky goodness. Very Cath Kidston, no?

The most fantastic find is outside airing out and I will show it to you tomorrow.

Assuming I can still open my eyes then.

Off to take more benadryl and lie down for a spell. I hope you are all having a fantastic junk filled weekend!

24 comments:

  1. That teapot would be so cute with tulips. And the candleabra? Looks perfect for Halloween and so many other occasions. I hope you get the second one. And I hope you feel better real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all your finds. The curtains are so pretty! And, those mugs are too cute.

    Good luck, I hope you get the other candelabra!

    Hope you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love everything, especially the curtains. I'm amazed you could function on Benadryl. Hope it works its magic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look like pretty great finds! Love the curtains. The tulip pot may have been a Drip-O-Lator? I love that you found a set of 6 (!) of the little coffee mugs! I have two that I bought new way back when. I liked them then , and I still do! Wish I could find more, too! They'd look great on a pastel-painted mug tree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great finds! I love the coffee cups and the glass cups - what great finds. Sometimes great thrifting is made even better by the previous drought. Congrats friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha, I thrifted those same mugs and sold them on etsy. I did hate to part with them. They're sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those mugs! Oh the cuteness overload!

    I guess I must have picked the best summer to stop thrifting to save for a house. Hopefully in 5 years it will be back up to snuff!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I hope you are feeling better! Love those mugs & their patchwork looking goodness! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. April4:39 PM

    Love your junk, Sarah! I think we have very similar taste:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh oh oh!! LOVE those glasses!! We use old glasses, too. Nothing matches and I love it! You and I may be kindred spirits!! I would have bought everything you did! 'cept maybe not the mugs.. I found some mugs that I fell in love with and cleared out all my other fireking mugs to use these exclusively. I don't drink coffee either, so they only get used when we have guests anyway.

    Hope you feel better soon!

    6 years ago when we had our first baby, I was all gung ho about using cloth wipes and then I got lazy and went back to using disposable wipes. I won't be buying any more wipes (except for traveling ones) and when the ones I am using start to fray and thin, I'll make my own cloth ones. Goodness knows I have plenty of fabric around here I can use!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. In my new "choose less" lifestyle I have steered clear of too many yardsales and antique/junk depots, but I just stopped at an antique store on Big Bend today, and feel the fever coming on again. So, in a way, I'm glad to hear it's a kind of dry spell for thrifters in the STL area, because I'm not sure how much the Cabin could handle. You, however, seem to be a master of the art. Today, in the antique store, I heard a small boy talking quite a lot w/ his mom in the next row of spaces and I actually thought to myself, " I wonder if that's Sarah and Jack"
    Best,
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Sarah -- great finds! Hope you're feeling better soon. I don't usually have much trouble with allergies, but I think something's in the air this year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Woaaaa, that candelabra is rocking. Good luck. Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope your allergies get better. I have never had them until we moved to NC and now my whole body is itchy and my eyes are itchy and I sneeze all the time! Yikes. You got some really great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Feel better! Love your finds!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness I hope you feel better soon! Yikes! You did find some wonderful things to help you endure the allergy! I really like the drinking glasses!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  17. Making up for lost time. My thrifting adventure was great today, too. Maybe it's universal.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, good stuff! You're supposed to tell me when things like this are happening in our little town. What train did you take? Amtrack or the Metrolink? Sounds like a fun adventure! Oh, and an award for you over at my blog...because you're awesome).

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh! So much good stuff! So glad Karma came to pay you a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yeah, for you! The tide has finally turned.

    I have those patchwork mugs. I love, love them!

    LA

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ph honey, feel better! And I love your new "junk." I had those mugs! I gave them away. If I had known . . .

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh honey, feel better! And I love your new "junk." I had those mugs! I gave them away. If I had known . . .

    ReplyDelete
  23. What great finds! I was just thinking about you last night and wanted to check in with you to see how you guys are doing? ((HUGS)) ~Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  24. I seriously just picked up one of the patchwork mugs last night (at the Value Village in Florissant). There were 4 or 5 of them but I bought one. Aren't they the cutest?

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?