Friday, August 15, 2008

What I love and a winner

A few things to remember:
Right now Jack is very into building. He builds these elaborate train layouts all by himself, and he does it with real vision. When I asked if he would be putting a bumper at the end of one of these loops, he told me that there was going to be a switch there. And indeed, he made a switch there, having apparently planned it all out in advance. Awesome.

In the kitchen last week he yelled out, "Exquisite." I don't know why, and it doesn't really matter, because he is 3, and his vocabulary includes exquisite.

A month ago he found a record album in the playroom and asked me what it was. I dug out the record player and set him up with some old children's albums. He fell in love with the scratchy old school Jungle Book, and I often will hear him singing The Bear Necessities to himself as he plays. (Now if only I could find one of those yellow thingys that makes the 45 records fit on the record player, so he could listen to the story book records we have. Grrrr.)

We saw Horton at the movies on Wednesday. For the first time ever, Jack was actually clapping at the climax of the movie, unprompted by me and with no clapping from other children. He really understood the story and appreciated the triumph of Horton. Then he immediately asked to go to the library to check out Horton again.
The pumpkins are back and full of blossoms. I see actual bees on them this year, but no pumpkins yet. I have high hopes that I am going to grow an actual pumpkin this year.

We are having chamber of commerce weather. In August. In St Louis. Unheard of and it has been going on for more than a week. I haven't been able to be outside because of the allergy problem for very long, but man, it is amazing.

David said to me a few days ago, "You know what I love about you Dear? You don't have fat clothes and skinny clothes and some day clothes, you have clothes for right now, that fit, and that you wear." Amen.

I invited my grandpa over for Sunday dinner yesterday. He asked what we would be eating. I said probably BBQ. Man did he perk right up with, "Oh yea? Can we have those hamburgers again? Those are the best hamburgers." I love how much he loves David's hamburgers and Grandma P's cucumber salad.

I made this zucchini quiche when Jessica posted the recipe. This thing is delicious. If I had an abundance of garden zucchini I would make a metric ton of it and freeze it for winter. I eat a piece every morning for breakfast and it is so good. Yummmy. (I used feta cheese and no crust.) Really, go make it.

*********
And, what you all came here for: Jack used his brain to pick a number between 1 and 36, and he choose 29, which is beadgirl. Please email me your address so we can send you the charm pack!

(And how much do I love that he can now randomly choose an integer in a given set? No more cutting out a million pieces of tiny paper!)

20 comments:

  1. Wow, I am impressed with little Jack. I can't even manage to do more then a circle with those train tracks.
    Funny thing about kids, they see things when adults just don't see because were to busy with the "big" stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack is only 6 months older than Maren but he seems so much more advanced! Heck, I'm super impressed that you were able to take him to a movie and have him sit through the whole thing! That's not something I think we could do for a long, long time. What a smart kiddo you have! Adorable, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hamburgers and cucumber salad? Great... I'm hungry again. :)

    Jack is so cute, love his little train track building. Maybe he's going to be an engineer?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is precious. He's a typical three year old, very sharp, fun-loving, creative, and curious! I love that he knows the word exquisite!

    I nominated you for an award today on my blog, go check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'm so glad you enjoyed the quiche recipe. We've been enjoying it here as well. In fact, yesterday I got some more zucchini from my friend's garden so it just might be on the menu again this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alright, what is wrong with me that I forgot to enter!!

    Oh well, congrats to beadgirl! :)

    His tracks are exquisite.

    What is chamber of commerce weather? My allergies are awful the last 2 days, too. I have big welts in the corner of my eyes. strange.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for the vinyl love! Here are a few sites that sell the adapters.

    http://www.sleevetown.com/45-adapter.shtml
    http://www.imosh.com/45RPM/pages/45RPM.htm
    http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/45-RPM-Adapters

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jack is a smart little guy! Hope you get some pumpkins! The plants look beautiful!
    Have a great weekend!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  9. barbara10:38 AM

    You are having a good day - a husband who notices your clothes, a grandpa who loves your cooking, great weather and the smartest kid in the world! And it couldn't happen to a nicer person.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck with your pumpkins. They are a fun thing to grow. We grow Big Max variety every year and see how big we can get them. Then we enter them in the pumpkin contest at the local nursery. The kids love it and the nursery always give out prizes that I can use in the garden. I love the tulip bulbs we got one year. Also thanks for the zuchini recipe. I have an abundace of those also. My dad says that is what every gardener plants to feel successful. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chamber of Commerce weather. Amen. It's been like that here in KC (but I'm whispering about, so as not to tempt the jinx.)

    Jack kills me. And how cool is it that he can pick an number! He's pretty bright, that Jack.

    ReplyDelete
  12. you know what we used to do when we were kids and would lose those yellow things? we'd make cardboard ones. Just cut out cardboard in the right size and put a whole in the middle (we used to use a pencil).

    ReplyDelete
  13. SusanG4:18 PM

    I have one of those yellow thingies, only mine is red. :) It came in a big jar of buttons - I'd be happy to send it to you if you'd like.

    Let me know. scrapsalot1@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was about to leave the exact same comment as susang! I have a red one too and mine came in a big jar of buttons and I would be happy to send it to you too! What a coinkydink. It only got to 72 here today. It's always been unbearably hot on my birthday. But, not today! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jennifer8:04 PM

    So, is three really THAT much better than two? Cause two is about to kill us... It sounds like Jack is doing very well. I'm with Heidi; a whole movie? We don't even walk near the theater. You give me hope. I know that Jack and G are so very alike in temperment.

    That quiche looks awesome. One more reason to relish the day I can have dairy again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a difference a few weeks makes! Again, the wonders of blogging, you can really see Jack's progress with these update posts!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jack is a genius!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so impressed that Jack built that train tracks! That *is* awesome.

    And, that is so sweet, what your husband told you.

    Our pumpkin plants look the same as yours, I'm crossing my fingers! I know you love fall as much as I do, I hope yours grow this year!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous6:00 PM

    I love hearing about what Jack is doing and how he is growing up! He sounds like a great boy : )

    ReplyDelete
  20. katie jean6:03 PM

    sorry! not anom. it's me!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?