Monday, September 01, 2008

61 miles of stuff

(I apologize for having to put so many photos in one post. I usually try and keep it manageable for those of you that read on dial up, but this no computer thing is really making blogging difficult! The good news is the new machine should be here by next weekend.)

We did all 61 miles of the 61 yard sale on Friday this year instead of Saturday like we have done the past two years. There were a LOT fewer sales this year, but we managed to spend a lot more money than we usually do and on more interesting items. (Usually I have a hard time spending $20 at this sale.) The weather was cool, and the crowds were small. I enjoyed myself so much that instead of getting right on the interstate at the end like we would usually do, we went back up the rural highway and hit the sales we skipped the first time.
This is the first thing I bought. I picked it up, looked it over, then put it back down and got in the car. Then I decided I was completely insane and went back and bought it. Originally I was thinking that I collect patchwork, and this is applique. Goodness is it gorgeous. And so, so, so buttery, silky soft. And the patterns in her hand quilting! It's huge too, there is a good foot hanging down the backside of the fence.

The lady selling it was really trying it to push it on me for cutting up.

Y'all know how I feel about that now. (And I fail to see what makes it worthy of the scissors. One little tear in the binding area?)
This is definitely the year of the quilt for me. This is an old patchwork top. She had paper pieced this and there are bits of the catalogs and newspapers she used still sewn to the backside.
I am fairly certain this quilter never meant for this to be this size. She clearly was making a baby quilt in the middle there, and at some point someone added a bunch of (non matching) feedsacks to the edges. I might remove those feedsacks and return it to it's original state. (It is also an unfinished top.)
I stopped at a sale that had a HUGE sign in the yard that said "CRAFTS DOLLS". I did tell David I was going to be digging there for awhile, but what I didn't know was that grandma had passed away and the girls wanted nothing to do with her sewing stuff. They kept bringing out box after box of fabric and piling it mountain high on this trailer. This lady had a STASH man. It must have been a whole house full.
Ladies were going crazy, going on and on about how expensive fabric is and grabbing at fabric like wild things. Mostly they all wanted the "new stuff" and left me be to grab at gobs of old feedsacks and vintage fabrics. This is only part of it, too hot to take pictures and the mosquitos are staging a massive revolt in the yard.
This metallic ribbon is meant for bow making (and even I admit as bows it is kinda cute), but when I saw it I saw Christmas crafts. Trim on paper houses, garland on small trees.
The Halloween stuff has started flowing too. I am going to hang costumes and masks from my ladder this year I think.
This bread box is a bit beat up, but still sweet.
I could have SWORN when I bought this it was an apron. An apron for a person with a 3 inch waist maybe. LOL Maybe it's a doll dress? Since it's not an apron, I will just repurpose the fabric.
There are about 6 panels of these nursery curtains. No clue what to do with them yet.
And my sweet boy and his Dandy, fast asleep after a long, long day! (It melts me to see him clutching Dandy like that.)

More photos on Flickr, close ups of quilts and quilt fabrics. It is worth popping over to see the daffodil quilt, I promise.

P.S. I may very well be the last person earth to notice this, but did you see that up there in that gray Blogger bar at the top Blogger has a added a search box so you can search the blog here? I was just about to figure out how to add a search widget too. So much easier than trying to google to find my own posts! LOL

25 comments:

  1. 61 miles of good stuff. I love it all. Those masks remind me of costumes from when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am reaching through the screen for those fabrics! You really hit the jackpot. And the quilts are lovely too. But those fabrics from grandma's attic are the prize!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW looks like you had a really good time at those sales. We don't get old quilts like that over here at the sales I go to; how lovely to find them but sacriledge to cut them in my opinion! I'm glad you are leaving that beauty in tact.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah, thanks for visiting my blog! I'm loving those nursery panels, super cool fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My grammie has Halloween masks just like those from my mom and uncle when they were kids. She hangs them in the windows every year and I love them. Those quilts and that vintage fabric...totally worth 61 miles of thrifting to find!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I am sorry I didn't go. I had planned on it and then it got crazy busy here. You found some fabulous stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally envy you-61 miles of stuff. I agree with you about not cutting up old quilts for projects like pillows, vests, etc. I have repaired quilts with tears at the edges by the binding by "trimming" them a little and rebinding, that way the rips can't get even bigger taking more of the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the metallic ribbon....that would have definately gone home with me. Isn't it heaven when you hit a sale that is so crazy good...love that the granddaughters wanted nothing to do with Grandma's sewing stuff. JACKPOT!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I am so jealous. I never find good stuff like that at yard sales!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I want to live where you live. You sure scored a lot of great stuff all in one day. I love the applique quilt and the nursery panels. I also love the feedsack looking bits. I love it all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have such similar taste. And you have such an eye for things I like. I can't believe how many fantastic quilts that you find. And the fabric? Stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What wonderful finds! Looks like you have a good start on quilt month already:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great haul! Those nursery curtains are my favorite. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Sarah! What a haul! And what a little trooper Jack is -- he's sooooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great quilts!! And I really like that sparkly ribbon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad your trip turned out so nice, Looks like you found some treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  17. AM I crazy, but this is one of my dreams to attend this event!!! Looks like you had a great time. The quilts are great and quilts are TOTALLY falling apart and in pieces already, I can't cut them up. They still have so many uses in them! Great feed sack fabrics too, lucky you! Sweet pic of the little one. Love that, ahhhh.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That garage fabric sale was amazing!!! What a find!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the photos! Why on earth would anyone want to cut that gorgeous quilt up! Holy Cow! Insane. Love everything!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, don't remove those feedsacks! They add something extra special and homemade to that quilt. What fab finds :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a terrific haul!! You're gonna have to buy a bigger house soon! (or start selling on etsy--they have a vintage category now). Congratulations on all the groovy stuff, and the new computer!! woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You did do good, girl! You know I love it all, don't you?

    I didn't read through all the comments. Someone may have already suggested this, but I bet that baby quilt grew with the baby. As he, or she, got bigger and needed a larger quilt, they added the feed sacks.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Holy cow look at the stuff you find! I love those nursery curtains, and all of the quilt tops. Amazing. I need to start trekking to those sales!

    ReplyDelete
  24. A 61-mile yard sale?!?! Oh my ... I drool at the thought. Congrats on your fabulous treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  25. such great finds!! i am so jealous
    i noticed the button recently, but didnt know it was a recent development

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?