Thursday, September 18, 2008

Thrift store remix

Jack and I were given a pair of Babylegs when he was small, and we both love them to pieces. He likes wearing them when it snows, and I think they are just too cute. I've been wanting a Halloween pair for years, but never have managed to order a pair.
I was wandering around Goodwill last week and spotted a pair of girls tights from the Halloween line last year at Target that were still new in the package. Price? $2.00. I figured I would let him choose if he wanted socks or leg warmers since he has been asking for Halloween socks whenever we are in the store.

He chose "winter socks". Above they are in their original form, tights.
I cut the leg portion off to make the leg warmers and then sat on them for awhile trying to figure out the best way to make them. (Those are our original babylegs lying next to the tight leg.)

I was trolling flickr and came upon this DIY babylegs tutorial , which was just what I needed.
I saved the feet from the tights to make him regular socks, so I made the cuffs with the crotch part of the tights. The first cuff I made is a bit smaller than the others, which I could fix, but it's on the ankle so it fits fine. (And you all know that in my house close is often good enough! LOL)
We both love them. Why did I wait so long to do this?!?!

And $2 for leg warmers AND regular socks is unbeatable.

P.S. Yesterday Jack managed to poke himself in the eye. He was crying and I couldn't sort out what was wrong with him until he shouted out, "MOM! I POKED MY EYE OUT." Man, it makes me laugh to even type that. It was like a scene right out of A Christmas Story.

P.P.S. Martha is looking to review a blog or two, you can sign up to get your blog thrown in the hat. If you so desire. Let's just hope if they come here they don't search for minion, ok? :-)

8 comments:

  1. That FACE is the best! You can't more thanks than that! Good job, mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen such a thing. What the heck is it,I assume it's to cover your legs when it's cold. But why not just wear pants?

    I'm not saying you didn't do a good job it's just that they look really strange to someone who lives in a tropical climate. LOL

    He look so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jack looks like he might never take those leggings off! I've been thinking about making some leg warmers this fall so that when the (snow) comes, my legs will be warm and ready!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just cracked up after reading the I poked my eye out:) That Jack is soo funny!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those leg warmers are adorable!!! And he's so cute!!! :)

    hahaha he poked his eye out? I hope he's feeling better, but it does sound funny! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great find! You're so resourceful and Jack looks so happy in them:)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahahaha!! That made me laugh! "I poked my eye out!" hahahaha!! I'm going to bed with a smile on my face!

    ReplyDelete
  8. those are so cute! how very thrifty of you, to make a pair of baby legs AND a pair of socks. great job!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?