Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Junk love

I think I bought this chair two years ago. I loved it. It was filthy, and heavy. (What is it with me and heavy?) I cleaned the seat up as soon as I brought it home, then it went into the garage. I had to keep a kitchen chair in the sewing room because Jack was sitting on a folding chair at the table and I had nowhere to go with the extra kitchen chair. So my pretty chair waited.

Inspired by my recent sewing adventures with Jack and the need for a second chair in the sewing room, I got it out of the garage on Sunday and finished it's makeover.

I wish I had taken the pic before I took the seat off though, lol.
I wasn't sure about painting it. The wood had a nice old glow, but all of the chair mechanism pieces were rusty and ugly.
Look at all that thread detail! (You can enlarge the photo.) Those threads were black with grime when I bought it. It took a lot of oxiclean, magic erasers and toothbrushes to get them semi-clean again.
It's even cute from the back. Look at that nail head trim.

One awesome chair $2 + one can of white paint $3 = perfect junk love.

P.S. That mouse is still on the loose. I am having nightmares about it nesting in my vintage fabric collection, or worse, the quilts. Gasp.

15 comments:

  1. SUPER cute chair!
    I'm queen of collecting things form yard sale that need to be refinished ... then letting them collect dust in my garage. Thanks for your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great crafty chair. My chair isn't nearly that comfy looking...imagine all the stuff you can make while sitting in that comfy chair!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That chair is beautiful. I know you will have plenty of sewing time in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your chair - it looks fabulous! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is exactly the kind of chair that I would do cartwheels over and my husband would not understand. It is so perfect. The nailheads are awesome. Great find. Great job with the fix. Congrats on a super cute new addition to the sewing room. Gaga over that upholstery fabric. GA-GA. OK, I'm done now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a beautiful job on that chair. I absolutely WANT that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, I love how it turned out! You have a great eye, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mousetraps and peanut butter will catch it!
    LOVE the chair and your sewing table!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute little chair!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That chair is awesome! Fingers crossed that you'll catch that mouse very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The paint was a good idea. It's so cute! But you need to take it and move out of the house until the mouse is gone. If you think I'm scared of stuff outside the house, you should see me when it's inside.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adorable with a capital "A"! Great job redoing that chair. Good luck with the mouse. The last one we had in my house chewed up the vintage sheet music I had....and left the newer stuff alone. GRRRRR!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE IT!!!!!! Wish it was in my sewing room:) Your room is 3000 times cleaner than mine!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fab make over and a bargain too...Mmmm scary mouse issues...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great make over. AND a great bargain.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?