Monday, October 20, 2008

Three ring circus

The birthday carnival was a HUGE success. It was a crazy amount of work though, and our pictures are not great since we were working from 8 in the morning until 2 in the afternoon. We were still working as the guests were arriving! Here is a small taste of it:
A funny picture taking booth;
game booths on the fence;
a favorite booth amongst the kids - tattoos (some kids had 7 or 8 tattoos, lol);
miles and miles of bunting, complete with triangles made from an old circus themed crib sheet;
striped lanterns in the trees;
plenty of carnival food - circus peanuts, caramel apples, popcorn, cotton candy, hot dogs;
birthday cupcakes baked in ice cream cones (the kids were CRAZY about these);
and the prize table, where the kids could trade their tickets for prizes of their choosing. (There were no prize values or rules. If a kid had 2 tickets and wanted 2 balls, I let them have whatever they wanted.)

We also played games: pillow case races, egg and spoon races, and musical clown noses. (I.E. Musical chairs with clown noses instead of chairs.)

The best part? 10 kids were entertained for 3 hours all on their own. The booths were easy enough for them to regulate on their own, and I just let them take tickets/not take tickets as they pleased. The adults were able to visit (and eat! I think the adults loved the junk food more than kids) and just enjoy.

It was a great party, and if you need a kids party idea, I cannot recommend this idea enough!

24 comments:

  1. It looks like a great party! What a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome job! looks like a lot of fun. Food table looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When Gwen turned 5 or 6, I did a carnival themed party. There are so many similarities between our parties:) I gave away beta fish at the fishing booth for party favors. The parents loved me for that:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. super super job, Sarah!

    And *sniff*. 4?? I remember my 12yo's 4th birthday party like it was yesterday....

    ReplyDelete
  5. You outdid yourself. What a super idea and you are such a good mom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything looks perfect! What a fun party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! Love all the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow.. this is absolutely amazing. Well now that you've got one under your belt.. the next one will go easier. You should do these parties for hire! :-) Everything is terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks like a great party!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vicki6:15 PM

    Oh my GOD!!! You are the best mother ever. I want a party like that for MY birthday. What fun!!! I'll be lucky if I get 2 cakes made each year for the twins' bitrthday....

    ReplyDelete
  11. How in the world will you ever top that? How FUN! My mom used to make the cupcakes inside the ice cream cones...always a HUGE hit among my friends!
    So much love went into planning Jacks Party!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with Vicki - you should get an award for this party! And I love that the kids were able to play by themselves. At the carnival party we went to, the kids needed supervision on almost everything. I like parties where kids play and adults chat and eat - perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How sweet. You are SUCH a good mom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. A big birthday hug for your little guy!!

    His party looked like it was SO much fun...you are amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! That looks amazing! I can't believe you find the time do this stuff. Seriously, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh my goodness. that looks delightful. its' on my list of 'maybe someday' kinda parties. ;)

    (and i can't believe you threw a THREE hour party - crazy!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GREAT!!!!!!!! Such a GREAT mom!!

    This reminded me of when I used to play "boardwalk" as a kid..I was maybe 5 or 6. We'd use leaves from the bush in front of the house...to get on the swing set...I mean the rollercoaster...and ferris wheel! ; )

    Fun times!!

    Thank you so much for the Burfday wishes!!!!!!!

    xoxo Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  18. Varenia9:35 PM

    What a great party! Looks amazing! Happy belated!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it!! Everything looks great. I love the vintage note it has with all your fabrics!

    I can't imagine the work you put into it, but well worth it, from the looks of it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a GREAT day! I might have to steal that for Miles next year if I can convince him of it's brilliance!

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW--I wish I was there, it looks like ti was soooo fun, what a great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. what a NEAT idea!!!
    You went all out and it turned out so so neat!! I love the tattoo booth!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. And the party...AMAZING! I have vowed that I will give Peter a kid party for his 5th birthday next year. This looks like a great idea, although I would have to pull it off inside because the weather here in April is still pretty yucky.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am here looking at this again because I'm procrastinating studying and planning a birthday party seems like more fun. Now I'm thinking of holding off until the summer and having a joint party for Ned and Peter (Ned's birthday is in May and Peter's is in April)...we'll see. Anyway, once again, I just think this is amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?