Monday, November 03, 2008

A letter to my son

I know full well that there are many out there who will disagree with this post. PLEASE do not leave nasty comments here though, ok? I support your right to disagree (and actually your right to say so as well), but I have long used this blog as a journal that I keep for my child. I don't want a bunch of nastiness here. It's important to me to document this for him. Thank you.

My dearest Jack,

Today we went to a political rally with Hillary Clinton for Barack Obama. There were a million reasons not to go, but my heart said this was our chance to touch this piece of history together.

I am not sure how much of this you will ever remember, but as we stood together in that hot crowded room, waiting for over an hour to see her speak while older women started to faint all around us, I dreamed for you.

I dreamed for you with a thousand other people of a better world.

A world without endless wars. A world where folks don't have to choose between medicine or dinner. A world where schools are able to have both art and music AND math and science. A world where St Louis County will not have had 5700 families lose their homes in the last year (there have been 3 on our street alone, and we don't live in any kind of fancy new homes, that much is certain). A world where there are fewer guns in the hands of criminals. A world where there is less of an angry panic about the uncertainty around us.

A world where there is both hope and change.

The election tomorrow will be monumental for sure. We talked about what it means to be the President, we talked about why we vote, we talked about why those other cars had the same stickers as you saw on the signs, and the same sticker that you see on our car.

But words cannot convey what it really means to you at the tender age of 4.

When you were born your father and I felt very strongly about you having a "presidential" name. A name that conveys strength and courage, a name that could carry you to the white house.

Barack Hussein Obama certainly blows my presidential name theory all to hell, but he is the embodiment of that little dream I had when you were born, that everyone in this great country really does have the opportunity to be whatever they can dream of, including President. A black man in the running for the highest office in our country, 44 years after the Civil Rights Act was passed. Times really are changing.

And so, Jackson Samuel, as we go to the polls tomorrow to cast our vote for the 44th President of the United States, with the memory of your little hands clapping together and your little voice cheering for Hillary, I hope that the world is about the change again. Everyone is watching.

And I hope that you will forever carry a little memory of the rally you attended with your mama. Your first political event at the age of 4. A peek into the importance of not being afraid, of putting yourself out there. And believing, like Hillary said, that America is a country with a great destiny.

"It's time to move from what we can do, to what we must do, to what we will do."

All my love,
Mama

Edited to add: Obviously I wrote this yesterday after we attended the rally. As I sat down to watch the evening news last night, I happened to catch Jack on the 6 o'clock news. There he is, right in front of Hillary Clinton and on the news! When he saw the video of himself he said, "I was rising up out of the pumpkin patch!" You can see me picking him up to take the photos above in the video clip here in the first 2 minutes of the tape.

28 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post to your son! You made me cry.

    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post, but then I love all the posts you write about your son. What a wonderful legacy. I watched the video too and there he was!!! I hope there's some way to copy and save it for when he gets older and can show it to his children and can say, "I was there!".

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love it! and i bet he loved seeing his head pop up on the news!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rising out of the pumpkin patch! Ha! I love that boy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I teared up when I read your post, and then I watched the video and teared up again. Jack got some good air time! All I could think was about going to an Obama rally in NH with my son (who darn well better remember!) - and to a Hillary rally AND a McCain rally just to make sure he would see our next president. I hope you are a bellwether for the great state of Missouri. Voting today was so fun - I have never seen so many hopeful, smiling faces. Hoping for good news tonight for all of us - and especially you, Jack!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok You made me cry...that was beautiful. I wish we had internet when my girls were little.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this post! This is why mamas blog! Thank you for sharing your dearest dreams for Jack!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is good history in the making. I'm so proud of you for involving your son at this time in your country! You are such a good mama. No matter how he grows up to vote, he knows he has a choice from the pumpkin patch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was beautiful. Saw that little head coming up out of the pumpkin patch. Yeah, Obama

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here's to hope for our future!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post......well said.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is so sweet about his being on the news. A beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful and so heart felt! my parents and i talk about this all the time, it is so important for our children to be in a country the world loves. we need to be a good role model and not a bully, isnt that what we want to teach our kids? what an awesome night, what an awesome time, i am so thankful we FINALLY got it right.

    xoxoxoxo to you dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now Jack nows that he was there for a piece of history! Here's to a new beginning for all of us!

    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh, yay Sarah! wonderful post and a wonderful night!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We honked our horn as we passed the Democratic headquarters today and the few Obama supporters that there are here were waving their signs. I'm hoping with you for a better way of life for our children!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Although I am not an American , I certainly am affected and touched and in the passed disappointed with the government which in fact does very much so affect us just a stones throw away , I shared last night with my 10 year old daughter this history changing event , I want her to know how far we have come , for all people , I want her never to forget or take forgranted the rights that we have , this was a changing day and I am so proud of how loud you all spoke to elect Obama , tears streamed down my face late last night when I was glued to the television , I just needed to see that the people have grown and how you and we have !, this is a good day .
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kacey6:22 AM

    Okay, that little head popping up to take pictures of Hillary just about made my morning! How adorable! What an exciting little clip for Jack to treasure when he's older.

    President Obama. Amazing. I am still floating on clouds I think.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are such a great mum to include Jack in this momentous occasion. I am sure he could feel the excitement!

    I, too, watched Jack's bit on the video, and got a good laugh when his cute, little head popped up!!

    I look forward to seeing how your country grows with its new leadership.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  20. I read this while watching the election returns and had to weep a little more. It is great that we can share such important events with our children. And I find that really interesting about picking a "presidential" name for Jack - who knows what the future holds?

    ReplyDelete
  21. You already know I don't agree with you politically... ;) Yet, this is a beautifully written post to your son. No matter my political views, I am truly happy to see such a milestone reached during my lifetime. As much of a die-hard conservative/Republican that I may be, Democrats do stand for some things that I can look forward to. Namely, hope for the healthcare crisis. Even though I'm sad right now, there is hope...

    ReplyDelete
  22. So exciting!!!! i saw baby Jack!!!!
    I watched last night with tears rolling down my face for the beauty of what this country REALLY is all about!Plus we get the added bonus of having the perfect fit for president!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love you. I really do. I just finished a letter to Katrina and came here to find that I'm not the only one who had that idea. Still weepy.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Please delete this comment after hopefully anonymous reads it - it is directed to the anonymous commenter right ahead of me. You asked people to be kind and respectful, for Jack's sake, and it's a shame that someone, some anonymous person, can't respect your blog enough to do that.

    Dear anonymous person please read this.

    During the third debate during the 2008 presidential campaign, Obama further detailed his stance on abortion:

    "...there surely is some common ground when both those who believe in choice and those who are opposed to abortion can come together and say, 'We should try to prevent unintended pregnancies by providing appropriate education to our youth, communicating that sexuality is sacred and that they should not be engaged in cavalier activity, and providing options for adoption, and helping single mothers if they want to choose to keep the baby'. Those are all things that we put in the Democratic platform for the first time this year, and I think that's where we can find some common ground, because nobody's pro-abortion. I think it's always a tragic situation. We should try to reduce these circumstances."[204]

    Obama voted for a $100 million education initiative to reduce teen pregnancy and provide contraceptives to young people. [201]

    Also, I am strongly against abortion, but Obama is not personally taking woman out and making them get abortions. Education, education. Woman need to educate and respect themselves.

    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  25. This letter is so honest, so full of hope and all things RIGHT. What wonderful way to mark this historical event.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You made me cry. And I love that you chose a "presidential" name for Jack. AND I didn't realize his middle name is Samuel. A great name, if I do say so myself!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this post! I love the outcome of the election.

    I wish I had a little boy to take to an event such as this. It must have been a blast!

    And I watched the video and it touched my heart so to see Jack rising out of "the pumpkin patch!"

    ReplyDelete
  28. We took our three girls to an Obama rally in Springfield, MO on November 1. We waited in line for 6 hours, but it was worth every second. I wanted them to feel this moment in history and be a part of it. I know that they will never forget it. I felt like a good mom that day. :) Congrats Pres. Elect Obama!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?