Monday, February 02, 2009

Bias tape beehive

Remember that roll of bias tape I fell in love with?

I've already made several projects with it, and with any luck we will have a whole week of "bias tape love" here this week.

Some stats for the record: I bought the roll in a bag with two other (boring) rolls at a thrift store for a quarter. My cost for the entire roll is then roughly 8 cents. There were 16 yards of tape on the roll. Every project you see is made with only stuff I have stashed in the house/sewing room.

I've done a little math and I am pretty sure you could make an equal amount of tape with 1 yard of fabric or less (it depends on whether or not you truly want it cut on the bias), so even if you couldn't find some fancy vintage stuff for less than a dime, you could still do these projects with fabric from your stash/thrift store/etc. (Just google make bias tape. Some of you probably even have fancy bias tape makers already!)

Onto the projects!
The first project is fabric art. I just covered a pre-primed canvas with fabric and went to work making a picture.
I am somewhat obsessed with bees and beehives at the moment.

And one of the things I love most about fabric is being able to really play with different patterns and how they mix together.

In fact, I think I have a crush on the way the blue and the pink work together here.
I took the easy way out here and just glued everything together. You could sew it all together and then just staple the completed appliqued piece to the canvas if you felt more ambitious.

Back tomorrow with more bias tape fun!

P.S. Are you a fan of Makin' Projiks on Facebook yet? I hope to get exclusive content on there soon. (The bias tape is a good opportunity for that. I easily have more than 5 days worth of projects from it already.)

6 comments:

  1. Love the bias tape projik! I have always liked bees and beehives (except for real ones! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool Sarah! I'm a little beehive obsessed myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is the sweetest little beehive. i got a pretty vintage pincushion on ebay a few years back that was a beehive. it was made out of styrofoam and velvet ribbon. i will take a pic to show you if you like? it would be super easy to make

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! I see that as an applique on an apron maybe. I have one of those bias tape maker things...wheels turning...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wanted to let you know that you have been 'Cuteabled' today :) http://cuteable.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well of course I TOTALLY LOVE this! Darling and so clever. I sure wish I could find the stuff you find.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?