Friday, February 20, 2009

Not this projik again

At exactly this same time last year, I spent many, many days reorganizing the sewing room . It looked nice and everything was where it belonged.

And it was totally unmanageable for me.

It took me way too long to look in 12 different bins trying to find coordinating fabrics to use for sewing. When I went to cut 5 inch squares for a little vintage fabric swap I recently did I realized that it was Valentine's Day and I still had piles of fabric sitting out from projects I did at Christmas time.

Not to mention I was in there for HOURS trying to find 20 different fabrics to cut for the swap, the whole time saying "I KNOW I have such and such fabric, WHERE IS IT?!?!"
After seeing a lot of the stash interview photos from Sew Mama Sew , I decided to ditch all the containers and take all the fabric out of the bins and the armoire and the hat boxes and and and... you get the idea.

My husband upon hearing my crazy new plan could be heard saying "Not that project again! We spend more time in there organizing." (He isn't wrong, it's always a mess and I cannot seem to find a system that really works for me long term.)

So now all of the fabric is just out there. It's visually noisy if I spend any time looking at it, BUT, it is easy to find fabrics when I need to and it is a lot easier to put it away.

We'll see how long it lasts.
While I was at I decided to redo the glass fronted cabinets in the kitchen. They are a catch all for everything I need to keep away from busy little fingers and it was starting to really bug me.

I put up new paper and put just the milk glass in them.

I still do not love it, but honestly, I have tried everything I own in those cabinets and I cannot find anything I really *love* in there. It's at least tidier than it was.

Which says nothing for the messes on the counters under those cabinets and the messes around those shelves, etc. Organizing is always makes a bigger mess than I started with for awhile!

Didn't I say I wasn't going to do the organizing thing this year?

LOL

26 comments:

  1. I think it looks great! Love the kitchen cabinet makeover, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it...and I need to put my fabric in something like that, just so I can find what I'm looking for. I get tired of digging through piles of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how it looks. I like being able to see stuff too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so much easier if you can see your stash. Good job done.

    AS for the cabinet, I like it a lot. But I do wonder if a more solid color would make that milk glass pop even more... just a thought.

    Have a super weekend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how both spaces look! I need to be able to look at my fabric too. How can you get inspired if you can't see it all out in the open smiling back at you, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your Craft shelves. It looks like a quilt itself. The milk glass in on place is beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love what you did with the cabinet. I can't believe your husband helps you in your sewing room! Mine would just complain how much fabric i have lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, I love all of this! The way you had it before, the way you have it now, the milkglass in the cabinet - it's great! And you can't believe how many piece of fabric I've found and said, oh, shoot, I should have sent that...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's fabulous to see what you have at once glance! If it visually drives you crazy you could put a tension rod on top and hang curtains for doors! I do like to see it all out like that though. The kitchen cabinet looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you for not keeping a system that wasn't working. I love how you can see all the fabric.
    I agree with misschris regarding the kitchen cabinet. I can see a pretty robin's egg blue or green apple color that would make your white milk glass pop.
    Either way, beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks great! As soon as I took my fabric out of tubs and put it on shelves I was 10x more productive because I didn't spend all my time hunting for stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on the button tree in the book! (I decided to post today so my comment wouldn't get as lost.) You should be very proud of yourself! I like having my "stash" (ha, I have a very short pile) stacked open, too, just to look at and get inspired. Or to think of all the projects I thought I would do and didn't... oops!
    And now I need to organize my office. Much less colorful. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, don't worry about it! I 'reorganize' the basement on a monthly basis. Some work is never done *sigh*

    best,
    Amanda @ www.kiddio.org / www.housemade.org

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that rose paper on the back of the cupboard! And, your fabric stash.

    I like how you can see it all at a glance. I think it's a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i'm with you on having trouble finding the best organized system. its so frustrating to spend so much time on something and then have to rework the whole thing. it looks good now. this looks so nice to see all your fabrics in your cabinet. i'm wishing i had a nice cabinet like that instead of plastic drawer thingys too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think the fabric cabinet looks great like that! I am somewhat trying to reorganize. Our house is in shambles right now because we are in the process of switching Blake & Layla's rooms. I can't wait to have things back in order!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I wish I had some cabinets like that for my fabric! How did you sort it? Maybe if it was sorted by color it would look a little better. Though I think it looks pretty darn good as it is. I also like the milk glass collection in that cabinet. The white is a nice contrast to the flower paper.

    Organizing is good. It reminds you of what you have, so you don't go out and buy more. Plus, I bet your creative little mind was thinking of lots of new projects as you sorted that fabric! Plus now you can use all those bins and containers for something else!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am envying you that cabinet!! I love the way you can see all of your fabric at once. Mine is stored in bins in the garage. I'm always buying more because I forget what I have. I think I'll keep my eye out for something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good for you for not giving up until you've figured out the right organizational plan for you. Looking good :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I always find that after I "organize" I can never find anything! I like the glass on the shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your fabric stash! I have mine like this as well and have toyed with the idea of hanging a tension rod at the top and adding a long piece of fabric to hide the shelves.

    Also, the kitchen cabinet is fantastic! I can picture a few Easter bunnies or chicks among the milk glass. Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous6:19 PM

    I had glass front cabinets like that too - I ended up finding some old lace and tacked it up on the inside of the glass - everyone I liked it and it gave a difuse look to everything in the cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have most of my fabric out where I can see it and I love it! It's inspirational (and distracting sometimes). I think yours looks fab too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It looks great. I'm jealous because I want a project room.

    By the way, I finally got my dryer fixed - it was the heating element - thanks for the advice.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm constantly trying to organize my space too. It's been an ongoing project since last November! I'm heading to Ikea tomorrow to buy some more of those cute pink boxes you have in your space! I bought some a few weeks ago and now I need more!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Is there anything at your house I don't love??? I don't think so. Beautiful storage.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?