On My Mind: Keepin' It Real
Last week Stefani wrote a post about her "real life", the one with hot dogs on the floor, and laundry piles everywhere. You know, the life we crop out of the blog photos. She opened a flickr group for those "real life" photos, and when I had a minute I added a few photos to the group. (The one above would be the constant glob of dried up oatmeal on my kitchen table.)
I am as guilty as the next girl of cropping out a mess. But, I do try to keep it real around here. There are ugly bits of this journey too, and not blogging them feels disingenuous.
After all, when you are all gone from this place (the blog specifically), it will still be here as a record of my journey for both myself and my child.
But there are certainly smaller, less monumental, messy moments that don't make it onto the blog. And things on my mind that I often cannot find the time to say here.
Since I have been tagged a few times on facebook for a 25 random things about me meme, I thought I would do it here instead, in the spirit of "keepin' it real."
1. There are always dishes in the sink. Always.
2. Despite the fact that I do have a dishwasher.
3. I took Jack to the thrift store this week and on the way out the door he said to me, "Mom, how come all they had in there was crap?"
4. I am overly vain about Jack's appearance.
5. Myself? Hmmmph, I can hardly be bothered to wear deodorant most of the time.
6. I am usually incredibly torn about having another child.
7. I love Jack to bits, but most of the time I am pretty sure he is all I can handle.
8. Until I see those cute little dresses in Target.
9. I generally come to my senses as soon as we leave Target.
10. But I do still have doubt.
11. Mothering is so NOT an easy job for me, I really have to work at it.
12. Blogging is also not always an easy job for me.
13. I actually keep lists of blog ideas.
14. I think blogging would be easier if this blog were more specific: just thrift or just craft or just mamahood.
15. Despite the fact that it would be easier, it wouldn't be *me*, and I will never make that change.
16. I have never gotten along with my inlaws.
17. It started before they even met me, if that is possible.
18. I am pretty sure I never will get along with them.
19. I have a whole new attitude about that this year though.
20. This is all despite the fact that Dave and I rarely argue.
21. Jack came bounding in my room this morning demanding I get dressed immediately to go bowling.
22. I sent them bowling without me.
23. I am a little sad I didn't go.
24. But not sad enough to not revel in the absolute silence in the house right now.
25. Jack wakes me up every morning before 6 am.
26. That means I need a 10 minute nap in the afternoon.
27. That seems to be what the latest inlaw problem is about.
28. My having taken a nap almost a year ago.
29. It actually makes me laugh to think about it.
30. Who knew a nap could be controversial?
31. Dave and I have both been missing Florida a lot lately.
32. We moved here because we thought it's a better place for a kid.
33. We talk about moving back once Jack is grown.
34. I think I would be happy to move from state to state once every three years or so, try out all of the 50 states.
35. Just for fun.
36. As I am sitting here writing this the filthy footprints on the wood floor by the front door are driving me insane.
37. I will likely let them drive me insane for a week before I bother to mop them.
38. I would rather be sewing than mopping, and something's gotta give.
39. My grandfather's health is failing fast.
40. Not a single family member other than Dave and I do ANYTHING to help him.
41. He needs us to do everything at this point: get his mail, mail his bills, do his shopping, take out his trash, do his laundry, keep up his house, etc.
42. It is really wearing me thin.
43. I am not sure how much longer I can keep up with 2 houses, one 4 year old and one 87 year old man.
44. It's taken me 18 months just to convince him to let meals on wheels help me get him fed every day.
45. When Jack is acting like a hard head, I really, really, really hope he is not going to end up as hard headed as my grandfather.
46. Or my brother.
47. Or even myself.
48. I am working with him every day to help him be better at accepting help, expressing his emotions and dealing with them.
49. I guess it all goes back to that mothering be hard thing, eh?
50. Who am I kidding? Life is good, but messy. Always.
How about you? Have any messes you want to talk about?
Labels: On my mind