Monday, February 23, 2009

Stitched together with love

The last of my beloved "adopted" grandparents died early Friday morning. I loved this lady so much that I am not even sure I can find a single thing to write here without crying all over the damn keyboard.

She made the best apple pies ever (and I am so thankful that a few months ago I asked her to write down her recipe for me).

She was always, always kind and sweet and gentle and thoughtful.

She never failed to tell me that Jack was a beautiful, special little boy.

We worked on a quilt together recently and she sent me a really beautiful thank you note (which I cannot find right now and that makes me sad because I am so sure I kept it) which said something to the effect of: Sarah, your work is beautiful. It is so much nicer than what I could have done on my own and I could never thank you enough for your help. That meant to the world to me.

So today when they mentioned her quilts at her funeral, I really lost it. She made beautifully simple quilts. Tiny 2 inch squares, always stitched together by hand. They are not masterful works of art, but scrap quilts that her kids and grandkids and great-grandkids use and love.

And they were stitched together with love.

Just like she and I were. Not bound by blood or obligation, but stitched together with love.

When I get where I'm going will always remind me of you Grandma. I hope that you and Grandpa are up there reunited, watching over us, with Grandpa sneaking cigarettes ("Don't tell Grandma I am out here smoking!") and you keeping us all stitched together with your love.

I miss you already.

P.S. We've been to church twice this week. I know that would make you laugh, since you were always on me to go to church more! Your passing has brought up a lot of questions for Jack about life and death and what has been happening to you. (How long will she sleep? How will she move now? Where did she go? When will I die? When does everyone die? Why does everyone die?)

Unlike my usual waffling self, I told him exactly what I *know* to be true this time. You are an angel in heaven now. I may still be riding that religion fence, but if ever there were an angel, it's you.

33 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry. Hugs to you and Jack. :)Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are no words to make it better - just hugs!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you have such great memories of her to treasure - she sounds like a wonderful woman to know! Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww...what a sweet blog post. I just loved reading it. She sounds like a wonderful woman. Hugs, Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a sweet post. Sending lots of hugs your way...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Sarah. The last line is exactly how I feel about my mom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you had someone so wonderful in your life that touched you so. Hugs and glittery happy thoughts to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah how lucky you were to have someone so special in your life for so long.
    I am so sorry for your loss.
    You will be in my thoughts.
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sarah, I am so sorry for you loss... I'll be thinking of you...

    She sounds like she was a real treasure! Memories make the best keepsakes, and it sounds like you have many.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hit the 'enter' key too quickly...

    (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Sarah, my heart goes out to you. I lost my chosen Grandma a few years ago. What a truly lovely tribute. I feel your heartache.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sarah, what a beautifully written post. Your grandma sounds like a beautiful woman. Hugs! to you and Jack.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a nice picture and nice memories - thinking about you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful post...I'm so sorry for your loss...thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel so sorry for you losing a part of your history, your family history. And to lose a quilting/cook partner is extremly hard.
    May you find peace knowing that she is now working with the angels.
    Osagebluffquilter

    ReplyDelete
  16. ((HUGS)) to you! I am crying reading your post to your beautiful "grandma".

    Have a nice day, Denise

    ReplyDelete
  17. My condolances to you all. How blessed you were to have such a wonderful lady in your life. We can always choose to love, it is the tie that binds, not blood lines.
    Hugs,
    Lola

    ReplyDelete
  18. People who work with their hands to make gifts for those they love are so, so special. I hope you have many wonderful memories of your Grandma to get you through the ache of losing her. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful tribute to her you have written. And I'm all for church--especially during hard times.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Sarah, I am so sorry for your loss. I'll be thinking of you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so sorry, Sarah. What a sweet tribute you've given her here. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. What wonderful memories you have to keep with you. And that is the biggest comfort of all. Loving thoughts to you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Adopted or by blood - it doesn't matter who they are - if you love them, you love them. I am sorry for your entire family.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've got no words for you, just hugs. You are so very lucky to have had her in your lives. :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  25. So sorry to hear your loss. She sounds like one heck of a woman and your friendship so sweet and perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  26. So very sorry for your loss. xo

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sorry for your loss, Sarah. She sounds like a wonderful woman. You are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Aww, Sarah. I'm so sorry to hear this. I just lost my last grandparent last week :-(

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm so sorry to hear the news. She sounds like a terrific lady.

    Hugs to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  30. So sorry to hear about your loss - Grandmas are definitely angels! I'm sure she's looking down on you and Jack and will keep looking out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh Sarah, I'm sorry I'm late reading this. You wrote a lovely tribute to your Grandma. :) I can tell she is truly missed.

    ReplyDelete
  32. awwww Sarah, what a sweet tribute! Big.Lump.In.Throat.
    XXOO
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  33. so sad! i am in the same slump myself. my grandpa is 99 and its just a waiting game now, i really dont want to think about it. as i get older it just seems harder and harder.

    i am glad you have such wonderful memories though, thats what really matters in life (to me anyway)

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?