Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Papercut eggs

By now you have all seen the new Martha Stewart cover right?

I knew those eggs were going to be in my immediate future since I am a bit of a behind the scenes papercutting fanatic after making the squirrel Valentines.
Of course NOTHING I ever attempt from Martha turns out like it should, but they are pretty darn cute. And actually they didn't make me want to stab myself with the decorative scissors while making them, which is a bonus when doing Martha projects. LOL

This guy is my favorite.
It has been so windy here this year that I sometimes think we are actually living in Chicago. My little photo shoot didn't quite work out as expected because of that wind, but you get the idea.
If you want to make them and haven't done so already my suggestions:
* Try and coat your egg completely with modge podge first, let it dry, then put the cut outs on the eggs. My cut outs are no longer white because the dye from the eggs bleeds when you modge podge them on.

* Play around with resizing her patterns. Some were too big to bend around the egg nicely and that made them a little wrinkly when you put them on the egg.
I made a needle for the ribbons with a piece of wire, but it still didn't work perfectly and I cracked one of the eggs threading the ribbon through it. She used some kind of giant needle which I couldn't find. I am not sure what the answer for that problem is!
A lot of cars in this photo, but it's the best photo of the hatching chick.

The eggs are up on the Easter tree, and they really are cute. Speaking of the Easter tree, photos of it tomorrow I hope.

Jack and I are off to the magic house for the day. It should be fun!

16 comments:

  1. Your eggs are divine. I'm jealous of the blossoms on your tree and actual green grass. We're still not quite experiencing spring-like weather in MI. I've been a Easter craft fool lately.

    Have a wonderful Easter, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so pretty! They are really lovely on the blossoming tree! Thanks for sharing some Easter cheer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! There's a needle called The Big Eye Needle that's in the beading needle section of Hobby Lobby - I wonder if that would work?

    ReplyDelete
  4. They turned out super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look really fantastic-- you can't tell the color bled. Makes me wish I had done something for Easter... I still have a few days :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw those in Martha this month. Very cute! You've been so great at doing all your Easter decorations this year. Me? Not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. they look so great. having not read that issue yet, i assumed that it was more of a - sticker + dye, then remove sticker. i wonder if that would work...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved your comment about stabbing yourself and Martha crafts...too funny (probably because it's too true!)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The multitalented Sarah never fails to please! Love these eggs. So so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They came out great, and so did you photos. Plus, no injuries during a Martha project - woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That would be "your" photos, not "you" photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The eggs are awesome! do you blow them out, or use hard boiled eggs? I wonder if you could use some of those little paper shapes that you find in scrapbooking sections too?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Sarah, those are awesome! I'll have to make time to try my hand at these cuties. Wish me luck!

    Deanna :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those look awesome! I love the photos of them hanging there in the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those caught my eye in the magazine too, but I'm thinking I might now get around to making them. Yours are totally cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am sooo impressed. These looked not easy to do. Clarice

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?