Monday, May 11, 2009

Shabby Chic Sheet Quilt

If you are anything like me you have a pile of flat sheets in your linen closet that never get used. When I cleaned the closet out a few weeks ago I went ahead and pulled them all out and put them in the sewing room.

I'd been wanting to make myself a new quilt for awhile. My very much beloved current quilt was a gift from grandmother, and it is completely threadbare. Since she has been gone since 1998, I want to preserve what little is left of it.

I kept looking at those sheets and tossing around ideas of what to do with them. Squares? Stripes?

Late one night it hit me, giant hexagons.
I've used only Shabby Chic (from Target) sheets, 6 patterns and one plain white one.
And after countless hours* cutting and sewing, I am pretty pleased with the result.
It's backed with a sheet in the pink on pink print, and I just did a front to back binding instead of the more time consuming binding method I usually use. (In all honesty I was SO bloody sick of this project by the time it came to binding I am surprised I finished it.)
It looks a bit washed out, it was gray yesterday.
A shot of it on our bed. (It was rainy that day, just can't win sometimes!)

Now I can get back to life and other projects!

*I am pretty sure I have spent three solid weeks making this thing.

29 comments:

  1. gorgeous!! really really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah....this is absolutely brilliant. I love it:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's gorgeous!! Congrats on seeing it through!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that the hexagons are large enough to enjoy the print! It looks so soft :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This turned out beautiful, glad you didn't get too sick of it to finish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it looks fabulous! love the hexagons!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's absolutely beautiful. Makes me want to curl up in your bed. Great job!! I posted a special quilt project late last night on my blog. I think you'd approve.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm coming over to steal it. Where do you live??

    Seriously, I love your quilt. It's perfect. What a good idea...I love those shabby chic prints.

    Now relax this week...you've earned it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so talented! That battern is brilliant! I wish I were patient enough to sew and quilt...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE this quilt! I've tried twice to make a quilt, and finally have learned my lesson. I'll leave it to talented people like you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is BEAUTIFUL. I absolutely ADORE it!!!! I think I am going to go thrifting for some sheets to cut up and make a shabby quilt with. I'm enamored. :)

    OOH! And I could use the scraps to make a mini quilt for the doll bed I just made for my DD (pics on the blog) :)

    Hugs

    Kristin
    http://reclaimingthehome.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is awesome!!! I have never tried hexagons. I love them, but to be honest they scare me!! Now I am more excited than ever to get mine done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your quilt is sooo beautiful!
    I love how you come up with an idea and make it happen.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE this quilt. What a great idea using all Shabby Chic sheets. I love those sheets! I've made some dresses for Spenser and myself out of Shabby Chic sheets. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love shabby chic sheets! That quilt turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea...I never thought of using flat sheets like that. I've always wondered what to do with them...no one in the family uses them!

    Hugz,
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing! I love it and I would never ever get anything like this finished - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well worth all the time! It turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So pretty and shabby! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your quilt turned out fantastic! Great use of those lovely prints. I'm not a quilter, but now I'm getting an inkling!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very cool Sarah! What a load of work -- well worth it though!

    ReplyDelete
  22. As expected, it's gorgeous!! Now make me one, please. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love it! The colors are so mellow and soothing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. i love this! beautiful. shabby chic sheets are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is gorgeous. I really want to learn how to quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great job Sarah! Hey, speaking of shabby chic sheet quilts; did you receive my end of our swap yet?

    ReplyDelete
  27. its soooo pretty
    i am a sucker for shabby chic anything. i have a shower curtain i just took down because i want to cut it up

    ReplyDelete
  28. what a great idea!!! and beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?