Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Magazine butterfly shadowboxes

Garage sales continue to be the pits for me. This past weekend all I picked up was a free pile of Elle Decor magazines.

Inside one of the magazines was an old Target ad with butterflies on it. I knew right away they were perfect for this project , which I have been in love with since January.
Simply cut out glossy butterflies, bend the wings up and stick them in a shadowbox.

Dave and I both love this thing. It really is hard to tell the butterflies aren't real.
Of course, it was also incredibly hard for me to get a decent photograph. Jasna's photos are gorgeous!
I am already tearing out butterflies for another one!

(The background paper is Amy Butler, the shadowbox was a clearance deal from Target a few years ago I knew I would eventually find a use for. Total cost? $0, everything was kicking around the house. Wooohooo.)

P.S. Take a minute and really soak up her photostream . I think it is fantastic. I want to just move right into her beautiful photos.right.now. :-)

8 comments:

  1. I love this projik, and I think I want to give it a go. I can see one of these on my porch. The only hard part will probably be finding a cheap shadowbox. Yours turned out really pretty! Gonna go snoop around that photostream now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's neat, and funny, because I recently filled up a shadow box with butterflies I made -- beaded, embroidered, wired, felted, etc.

    I'll try to get a photo up of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh such a good idea - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool...They do look real.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love about anything in a shadow box. Makes it look special!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's very pretty! And oh I just droll over Jasna's photos all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your project turned out so well. I'm loving this idea.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?