Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Moving On

It's funny how once you have a child it seems like every last thing on earth changes. When my grandma died I remember being consumed by grief for months. I could hardly face the world or think of things like another meal, much less try to just push onward.

But I have Jack now, and he really is evidence that life does indeed move on. He still needs to eat 3 meals a day, he still needs time to just hang out with me doing puzzles or watching a movie, he still needs to go to his bowling league and he still wants to talk endlessly about things like red blood cells and preschool and carrots.

In many, many ways that is a good thing. It's a little stressful at things like funerals where you just want a moment to remember the last time Grandpa sang happy birthday to you or how happy he was that you made him a super Grandpa blanket for Christmas (now buried with him), but, it gives me purpose.

And since Jack has been super stressed with all the (known and unknown, to him at least) turmoil in our lives the past few months, I am working diligently at just getting us back to "normal". Whatever that is.

For myself I am starting to feel some of that relief I had expected to feel. It has been stressful for David and I to care for my grandfather the past few years. You never expect to find yourself both raising a little person at the beginning of a life and caring for someone at the end of a life at the same time, but that is where life has found us for a long time. There are still HUGE decisions and big problems ahead of us (which I will share in a little while, I still need time to think about a lot of stuff), but, things are definitely easing up around here.

So, that's where we are. Thank you very much for all of your warm thoughts. They really do help.

Another local blogger, Gail , had been asking what she could do to help me. I decided that what I really needed was a flea market companion, so off she and I went to the flea on Sunday morning.
She ended up being a very lucky charm.

I fondled this quilt the first time we went past it, but I was hesitant to drop all my money on it when we had only been there about 20 minutes. After we made the rounds I went back for it and lucky me! it was still there. (She would want you to know I was running back to it, lol.)
Usually I am a patchwork fan, but this applique is so stinking sweet.
And her stitches are so tiny and perfect.
And don't get me started on this sweet border!
If you enlarge this photo you *might* be able to tell that it was a kit. You can still see the blue dots marking the fabric for the quilting outlines.

And she was such a lucky charm that I managed to buy nearly more stuff than we could carry.

The best find of all though? A great new friend who didn't wrestle me to the ground over tablecloths. Even if she wanted to a tiny little bit. :-)

15 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you! That quilt is amazing. Good to see that things are finding a new normal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life does indeed go on and I'm ever so glad you are back! Hang in there with the big decisions too.

    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woot! Hooray for mood-lifting quilts!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are back. Take it slow. Life will just be at a different style now.
    Granparents will always have a special place in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're such a good Mom. I just had to tell you that! Anyway, glad you got your thriftin' mojo back! Great score on the gorgeous quilt. But then you've ALWAYS had good luck finding those!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am okay being outed LOL! I had fun with you too. And the quilt looks even prettier hanging on your line ;) I hope this is a sign of better things to come (at the flea and in life :) )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m glad to hear that things are getting a little better. I was thinking of you today when I was doing my usual blog reading. And congratulations on finding the quilt! Lucky girl I never find anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you are back:) Glad you finally had some luck while hunting! Can't wait to see the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear that you are starting to get back into to "normal". I hope that all of what you are left to deal with goes smoothly! Great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Having a little boy will help you get through this - I have no doubt.

    I was especially tickled to read that Jack has a bowling league! That is too funny and must be too cute!

    Here's to more happy thrifting trips. *Clink*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sarah
    I'm glad you're back. Children do have a way of lifting your spirits. Thank goodness. They can make the bad times more bearable and the good times more memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Normal is good...so glad to see you back.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am happy you are finding your way back to "normal". My extended absences from bloggy world are also due to loss of someone close. Life seems to just buoy you back along even though you are not yet ready.
    In a couple of months ,things might get hard again as more time gives room for settling and thoughts to bubble back up. I am so sorry for your loss,and do understand what you are going through.
    My Dads been gone since April and I have good and bad times,the good are getting to be longer periods.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad to hear you had some flea market fun, and as I read I pictured to grown women wrestling on the ground while people passed them by pushing their carts of treasures and telling their kids not to stare because it's not nice...

    ReplyDelete
  15. sarah, somehow i missed your post about your grandfather. i am sorry to hear about his passing, but i am glad you are feeling a bit better. it is nice that jack can share some memories of him and remind you of good times.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?