Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Want to meet our new house?

We are still trucking along at the new house. Today the city picked up our SECOND 40 cubic yard dumpster full of trash and is returning the THIRD one as we speak. Oy.

So, maybe you want to see "the pit" as it looks now?
It's quite Brady Bunch, no?
It's a HUGE house though, with a gigantic yard. And we can walk to a big pool and a city park. And stay in the school district I know and love. (And not only graduated from but worked in as a teacher.)
I love the big porch. Always have.

It's going to look a lot different soon though.
I wish I had a before picture of the kitchen. Just imagine REALLY dark cabinets, a wall oven, and a half wall where Jack is kneeling with spindly things on the top half of it.
Last night the menfolk worked late into the night gutting the kitchen.

I've spent a good portion of the past week crying in my cheerios about how difficult this has been for me. Emotionally it has been a serious gut wrencher. Every time I drop Jack at preschool I cry in the freaking car. It's been bad.

But you know what?

When I walked in to that house today and the kitchen was gone and the pony wall was gone I could *almost* imagine us there. A big kitchen, a farm table in front of the fireplace, bright white cabinets, and the beautiful oak floors I bought at Lowes on Sunday as far as the eye can see...

It's starting to feel less like "my grandparents house" and more like "OUR house" with every passing moment now that we are almost done with the clean out part of the program.

And that, my friends, is a much needed good thing.

P.S. I have been blabbing a lot more about this journey on facebook on a daily basis. You can always friend me there (email me for the last name if you don't already know it) if you are just *dying* to hear more (whining). Ha!

19 comments:

  1. I can't wait to follow your house journey. I remember feeling completely overwhelmed when we bought my grandparents house. It was bittersweet tearing up the house and making it our own. Be sure to document your progress. I love "before" and "after" pictures. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it will be so fab when you are done. So envious. we still have no house in CA.. freaking out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor sweetie! I know it's rough. Keep looking at the positive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I know it's going to look great when you are done! And what a nice yard for Jack.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that the house will look lovely with all of your chandeliers and quilts and other wonderful things that you already use to make your current home so cozy.

    Hugs on the difficult aspects. It sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. as far as the tears go....stopping at stop lights in an empty car are still tear inducing moments for me.....(with still feeling emotional from the loss of my father)its like your thinking of all you must do and then you have to stop for a sec and it all comes flooding back. I actually have to watch it now because I have created a "pavlovs dog" effect.
    Oh and Brady bunch is good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like it - it reminds me a lot of the house I grew up in...also my grandparent's house, though my mom was there too. People though I was so luck y to live with my grandparents. I just told them it was like having three parents instead of two and no grandparents to spoil you!

    I hope it gets easier as this goes along. I'm sure it will as make it your own.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so excited for you! I can not wait to see that kitchen with all your good stuff in it.

    BTW, did you see this month's Family Fun? There is a feature about a family that does all sorts of science projects with their Halloween candy. They even have a blog. I'll try to find the link if you don't have the mag. I thought of Jack right away when I read that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing the new house. Soon you can say the new home, and feel much better. Your family is what makes the house a home...you have that covered! Don't work too hard...and my truck is where I do my best crying. :o} Have a great week *elaine*

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks great on the outside Sarah! What a big job. Take time to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous7:17 PM

    Sarah, I love your blog and have been reading for a long time. I can't get the email link on your profile to work with my computer, but I'd like to be FB friends. You can friend me or send me your email: Hope Vestergaard. Sorry to make more work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know it's going to be a great adventure. Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Its a cute house! Love the porch also :) Take a deep breath, you'll get there!

    Oh, and I can imagine the kitchen, ours is original and HIDEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Remodeling is one of the hardest things a family can go through I think. We did it last fall and it was a NIGHTMARE. The end result is worth it though, and you will feel good about your home, and know that it is 100% YOURS. Hang in there.

    Kristin
    http://reclaimingthehome.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow. it looks like a house with a lot of character and lot of memories, and since you are going to be living there, it's soon going to be filled with even more character and more memories. You are going to make it your own, just like you did with your life and your family. Enjoy. Mourn the loss, process the weird feelings, but then enjoy what you guys our building together!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay! I'm so happy to see pictures of what is going to be your new home! It is very Brady-esque, and that deep porch is fantastic. It's really good to see that you are starting to have good feelings about all of this. Imagine, when it's all done, it's going to be YOUR home, the way YOU made it, and it will still hold all the great memories of your grandparents too. I bet Jack is having fun, and is excited by it all! I'm going to enjoy watching the progress. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's going to be a wonderful home for your family, full of old memories and with lots of space for magical new memories to be made.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It really is a cool house. It's gonna be great.

    Having literally lived through a house remodel, all our furniture out under the carport for several weeks, I know how harrowing the whole process can be. And with you, leaving your old home to go to this one with totally different memories.... Yes, it's got to be stressful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your new-to-you home is very Brady Bunch, but I like it! I can just picture what the kitchen used to look like, and can't wait to see the new version. That front porch can't be beat! I think you're going to have a great home when all the work is done, even if it does seem unending right now. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?