Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Grandma's Flower Garden Cross Stitch

I had this idea brewing for several months before I got around to making it, and then it took me a solid two months to actually make it.

I thought it might be fun to translate some of my favorite quilt patterns into cross stitch designs.

So I started with the one pattern I thought I was least likely to make as a quilt (because of how labor intensive it is), grandma's flower garden.
It turns out it is just as labor intensive to make it in cross stitch. LOL

But I am really in love with the result.
It was easy to find embroidery floss in great vintage colors. The green is actually "nile green", that great green you see in a lot of 1950's quilts. (It is just dark and rainy here today and I did not want to put off blogging this any longer.)
Sorting out how I wanted to finish the edges and what size it ended up being was a little trickier. I would have preferred it one row shorter, but then the two ends wouldn't match.

This framing is a little crooked. And it's temporary. I still haven't thrifted the perfect frame for it yet.

I have an idea for another one kicking around, but it's a secret until I get to it!

11 comments:

  1. Love it! Cross stitch has been calling my name lately too. If only my eyes were better! Can't wait to see what you make next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's a neat idea. It must have taken a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great! I love cross stitch and yes, it's very labor intensive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful idea, you could cross stitch tons of beautiful quilts!

    Grandma's flower garden was my husband's grandmas quilt of choice, she made so many! One for every grandchild and great grandchild (maybe 35?)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome. i found some really cool quilt cross stitch patterns at an estate sale...tried one but it killed my eyes. If you want them, let me know and i'll send them to you. I loved the idea and thought i'd do them and hang them in my sewing room. I LOVE the grandmother flower garden quilt too but fear i'll never actually make one or buy one because they are always expensive on teh second hand market. Lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So you just thought that up? It's pretty great. I love those colors, especially that green.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is gorgeous! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute what a great idea, that is my fav quilt pattern too, and I am not about to attempt it any time soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love it! It turned out beautifully. But it sure does look like a lot of stitches!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?