Sunday, October 04, 2009

Grateful

I know there has been plenty of boo-hoo'ing around here lately. But it has not gone without notice that in a time when there are skyrocketing rates of foreclosures, homelessness, joblessness and worse, that we are suddenly a family of more than plenty.

Yesterday, while others were busy working hard on our new house, we had time to go the local farm together.

And I was acutely aware of the fact that it is by the grace of my grandparents, and their years of hard work, that we have the money to pay others to fix the new house while we picked raspberries and hunted the great pumpkin.

Grateful indeed.
Jack played "lookout" on top of the straw pyramid. (Super cute with his little hands over his eyes surveying the town.)
We posed for pictures with raspberry juice all.over.us.
We hunted for the great pumpkin in the fields. Jack went running over to a giant pumpkin yelling "I found him! I found him!" and then he threw himself on top of the pumpkin.
Jack explored the maze under the straw pyramid.
And we picked a TON of super delicious, very ripe and juicy late season raspberries. We had berry juice all over us from trying to pick with numb fingers. (It was really cold yesterday.)

I spent today putting up raspberries for the winter. Freezing, making 15 jars of jam and one raspberry dump cake.

Someone at work asked Dave to pick him an extra pint of berries, but the berries were too ripe to last until Monday, so I am hoping a jar of jam will be a nice substitute. I scanned one of those sticky Martha Stewart craft labels (found at big lots) and altered the text in a photo program. Instead of "from the garden of" it now reads "Raspberry Jam". (I should have made them smaller I suppose). Then I stuck them on with spray adhesive.

I also managed to get the rest of the Halloween decorating done. It's not as much as I would usually do, but it's enough. (More than most people I imagine!)

Ok, we are off to see the new house progress. If I don't get around to blogging some new photos this week I am going to put them on Flickr. I will let you know. :-)

4 comments:

  1. Looks like the well-deserved weekend that you needed. Super pictures. Have a wonderful week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a wonderful day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I love homemande jellies and jams. when we lived in Alaska we had them all the time because my mom loved to pick and can so much. Can't say I inherited that trait...I need some canning pals like you to hook me up! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a really neat place. They just do not have things like that here. Raspberries would be delicious right now.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?