Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Hexagon Flower Tile Floor

Really I would have rather made the title something OMG SQUUUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE my floor rocks, but I get frustrated when things aren't easy to google. :-)
Can you see my hex flowers on that floor? In pink and green?

Awesome.
And hard to do. Really hard to do.

Hard to source the products and even harder to lay the pattern and the floor.

I ended up using a totally random pattern. (Which might eventually drive David crazy, but it took hours to get even a random pattern.)

I tried like crazy to google up a floor like this when we started so here are the best tips I can give you:
I found the white hex tiles at a tile shop near the house. Dal tile DOES make them, but they were a little harder and more expensive to get.

Dal tile also makes colored hex tiles, but they refused to make them for me, even as a special order. They wouldn't give a reason to the dealer for their refusal.

We ended up having our awesome tub guy (Scott from The Tub Company ) refinish some of the white tiles in a custom pink and green color for us. Companies that specialize in refinishing/restoring tiles/bathrooms might be your only option for getting those colored hexes, so don't overlook them when trying to figure out what to do.

Expect to pay a lot for the labor. Tile like this is a dying art and guys who are used to more modern tiles are going to struggle with those tiles for a laundry list of reasons.

And with that I am off again. Today is a CrAZy day which will end with our meeting with the city tonight. Hopefully by tomorrow the work can start on my laundry room again.

Fingers crossed....

15 comments:

  1. That floor is AMAZING! i love the color choice and the old fashioned look of it - glad you found someone to do it for you - it ROCKS! (I want one like it!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your floor looks like a beautiful quilt. I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE it! Can't wait to see the entire house ;) Thank you again for the dishes and Pyrex! You are Awesome!!! Hope the meeting works out in your favor tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the most awesome floor! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's AWESOME Sarah -- what a cool floor!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooooooo! I am so JeAloUs!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4:20 PM

    Love, love, love it!!!! I can't wait to see the done deal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it. Seriously. I have plain hex on my bathroom floor and love it. Now I really wish for little flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow! what an awesome floor!
    i also love the vintage look and feel. i wish i could redo my bathroom now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sarah... the tiles are GORGEOUS!!!! You are being so patient through all this. I would have given up! Praying for the laundry room next!
    Blessings, Kim
    p.s. did the quilt pieces arrive?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your floor is PERFECT! We expect LOTS of pictures as you are decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sarah, I"m in LOVE with the floor! I thought maybe it was vintage, and I thought, what a lucky girl! hhee-hee! Can't believe you dreamed that one up! I can't wait to see the rest of the house!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is gorgeous. We have a vintage tile floor in our 20s bungalow, but it is cracked and I hear it's astronomical to get it fixed. For now we're living with the crack.

    btw, I grew up in a house with a pink and green bathroom!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?