Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Making a house a home

I am getting down to the last of the boxes that need to be unpacked. (Well aside from a crapload of toys and the sewing room. Let's not talk about the sewing room.)

Inside those boxes are the things that will make our house into our home - the accessories. The pictures, the pottery, the wreaths, the frames.
So, at 8 am this morning I started laying out the platters I have been collecting for YEARS...dreaming of a platter wall...
while Jack discovered the joy of 3-D!
And Dave patiently helped me hang all of them up. (It's snowing and the new house is very white. The camera is washing out in here.)
Is it wrong that I am secretly pleased that there is some room for the collection to grow still? :-)
While we were working I happened to notice that we have entered the stage where the messes are beautiful messes. Tarnished silver, old picture frames, glass lamps, pretty china, wilting roses.

I better go finish the kitchen unpacking. I know some of you are asking about the kitchen, and I swear I am going to answer those questions very soon. Yesterday we FINALLY finished all of the work that we had carpenters in here doing, which included the kitchen back splash. (So today is the beginning of life without renovations, which is massively exciting.)

P.S. One last thing before I forget. The burning question from family seems to be "Is it weird?"

The short answer is no. I really thought it would be. I REALLY did. But aside from having the same address this does not feel like my grandparents home. At all. Almost 4 solid months of renovations plus nearly a month of us emptying the house before the reno started and no, it's not their house now.

Maybe the people it really is weird for is our family.

Yes, I imagine it must be.

9 comments:

  1. Your platter wall is gorgeous. I knew all your little touches would make it YOUR home. My Aunt used to come over to our former home (my grandparents home) occasionally with a critical eye to all our changes, but we were happy and that's all that mattered. I can't wait to see pics of the kitchen. Happy "almost" 2010!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you've got so many boxes unpacked already. The platter wall looks amazing, and you would be foolish to not leave room for more! I'm so happy for you and your family and your new home!
    Wishing you lots of happiness and prosperity in 2010!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say is awesome! Things are looking BEAUTIFUL! Can't wait to see it ALL! Blessings for 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the platter wall...you have to find more to fill it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous!!! We too are big "Platter Wall" people!! :) the more aged, and crackled the better! We have a small collection over our bed, with fabric collages from a fave artist on each. :)

    Keep the fun projects and pics coming!!

    Happy Happy 2010!

    xoxo Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  6. It all looks so good. You've done really well, I'm excited over each and every picture!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I'm impressed with the platter wall! Not that you have enough to do a wall, that too, but that y'all stuck with it and got them all hung and it looks great to boot.

    You've put so much into making this house yours, I can see why it doesn't feel weird to you. Makes perfect sense.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your platter wall. At my previous house I had a wall like that full of grantie lids. No pans, just lids. My brother always thought that was the weirdest wall, God rest his sole.
    The mirror on the cabinet is beautiful too!
    I can't wait to see rest of the house.
    And my is Jack growing, like over night!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Next to fabric I think I like dishes best. And what could be better than vintage dishes?

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?