Friday, December 04, 2009

Never a dull moment

About a month ago I noticed I was getting these weird rashes, mostly on my hands and arms. I was standing at the new house scratching to death one day and one of the guys asked me what was going on with my arms. "Oh, I think I am allergic to cardboard or something. I've been packing a lot of boxes."

I didn't give it a second thought. (And since we bought the boxes off craigslist Dave thought maybe they had been somewhere with something I was allergic to.)

Then at night my head started to ITCH SO BAD it was taking a zyrtec + 2 benadryl for me to be able to sleep.

At the time I thought one of the cats had given me fleas! LOL Put flea medicine on the cat and forget about it again.

Except I kept itching and itching and itching.

One week Saturday comes and goes with itching like crazy. Sunday? No itching. Monday? Itching like crazy. Tuesday? No itching. Wednesday? Itching like crazy.

Then I had a little lightening bolt. I am itching every other day because I only wash my hair every other day. D'oh!

I was in Target awhile back and I was SO excited to find this shampoo . I even made a note to blog about it (the reason I am telling you this little tale), because FINALLY easy to find shampoo without sulfates! I'd been searching for that for 2 years.

I'd been happily using it and going on with my life.

But remember that itching?

Ummm, yea. I have an allergy to coconuts. Apparently a person allergic to coconuts should not use a shampoo that has actual coconuts in it as opposed to coconut smelling shampoos that are just a bunch of fake chemicals. And apparently it was causing rashes everywhere it touched my skin, mainly my hands and wrists.

Who knew? LOLOLOL (It's a wonder I manage to survive sometimes, isn't it?)

I guess I should just be happy I DO NOT have fleas (or lice or ahem, crabs, lol) after all...

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:47 AM

    I have that problem , too.(not the coconuts , the itching :) ) I thought it might be my shampoo or conditioner..but, I have never been able to peg it down. What is the best shampoo/conditioner to use or what have folks had trouble with?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing that you figured that out without a lot of tests. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I have been reading your blog for a while now. I love following your move updates etc. I had to comment today because you gave me a really good chuckle. Glad you could put the rash to rest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you didn't really have fleas! I had them when I was living in Argentina (darned dogs!) and they are awful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. L'Oreal has a new kind of shampoo & conditioner out that is sulfate-free, but I don't think it's organic. Its supposed to be for maintaining colored hair and comes in a tube rather than a bottle.

    And now I'm feeling kinda itchy after reading your post...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that's crazy. Becuase I have some of that shampoo and finally had to give it up. The fragrance is so strong it just makes me feel sick using it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you figured that out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing! Amongst all the craziness going on in your life that you were able to put 2 and 2 together! Glad you figured it out, those constant irritations can start to grate on your nerves after a while.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?