Thursday, January 14, 2010

Organize along, part 2, the sorting

Here we go! Do you have your bins ready?
It's time to start sorting. Do the best you can to group like items with like. You can see I don't even have room to set all the bins on the floor, but make it work, however you have to.
I had 6 bins and few piles. The bins are holding: embroidery stuff, quilting pieces, craft kits, crepe paper and the all important "I am attached to this stuff for whatever reason but it defies categorization". Then I made a few piles of stuff to keep in that room: fabric, books, and magazines.
Now, the hard part. If you are anything like me you have a LOT of excess STUFF in your craft room. Stuff that has no other home in your house, stuff you just bought, stuff that needs to be put away elsewhere, etc.

Pile it all up.

Then get it out of there.

It HAS to go somewhere. If you really cannot find another home for it, add to the freecycle/craigslist pile on the porch. (I always make that pile on the porch. There is no way I would go back out there to drag it all in and it's all grouped together and waiting to be picked up.
This is also where your small fries (aka children) come in handy. To keep Jack busy while I am cleaning things out I have him be the "runner." Kids can take a few pieces to the kitchen, the basement, the laundry room, etc. I try to make it a little like hide and seek if possible "Go find the round blue container in the kitchen drawer and put these pens with the others."
Hey, look at that! We can see part of the floor again. :-)

Keep sorting. I will be back in a day or so to help us get moved further along.

You can do it!

1 comment:

  1. You crack me. I love the "runner" idea for Jack. I can't wait to see the progress in a few days.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?