Thursday, March 25, 2010

It seemed like a good idea

I have a bunch of Dave's old shirts that I scavenged from the goodwill pile in my sewing room because I love the fabric. (And because he used to wear nice pastels for *me* and now he only wants to wear orange and dark green and navy blue! LOL). When I saw the shirt on the left at Goodwill this weekend I bought it for the fabric thinking I had a GREAT idea for the last living room pillow I needed.

Pretty lavender ruffles! With soft torn edges! Loads of them!
Except the darn thing took forever to make. And really? It wasn't that easy. It might be easier to make quilts. Honestly.

All that tearing to get those edges. All that basting. All that ruffling. All that straightening of the ruffles. All that pinning.

And the threads. Oh man, the threads. You could sit and pull loose threads from torn ruffles for a week and still have more threads. (And the corner looks goofy in the photo, I think I must have been at a bad angle.)
This photo with the glaring flash is a better representation of the color.

It *is* cute. But perhaps in this case it is better to give homegoods $10 or something and just buy one.

It seemed like such a good idea at the time. Ha.

I had a spectacular thrifting day yesterday when I decided to take a day off from making things and painting things and cleaning things. It's rainy today, but I will share some treasures tomorrow. It was the best day in years* I think.

*Dave and I used to go out thrifting together once in awhile and I swear we could fill up the whole van. Now three bags makes my day. Oh how times have changed.

10 comments:

  1. Definitely worth it - this is so cute!

    (hope you don't think I'm a "dumbita" - my captcha to post this comment)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pillow is adorable..I know what you mean though sometimes it does seem easier just to buy it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it turned out great Sarah -- well worth all the work! (Especially since it wasn't my work LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's darling. Really it is. I'm always envious of anyone who sews and actually sticks with it. I can't wait to see your thrifting treasurers. Bring them on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I swear there are more people at thrift stores, garage sales and estate sales then ever before,it must be the economy.. I want them all to go back where they came from... too crowded for my liking! Love the pink cabinet! And I love the funky chair like it is too, can't wait to see what you do to it:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pillow is adorable, and sometimes you just have to get a project out of your system before realizing you never want to make one again. Your best thrifting day in years will be something to behold ... hurry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to see your haul! I haven't had a good thrifting windfall in too long:( Love, love all the beautiful things you are adding to make your home, even more gorgeous! I don't think your paint brush will be dry for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is so pretty though! :)

    Can't wait to see what you found thrifting! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?