Monday, March 29, 2010

A quick flea market make over and a decision

Two weeks ago we went to a VERY chilly flea market on Saturday morning. Despite arriving only 30 minutes after it started, I was feeling disheartened by how.much.stuff.everyone was buying! They were filling up trucks full of stuff (good stuff too) and I was struggling to find anything to bring home with me despite having a pretty long wish list for the new house.
And then I spotted this bench. I paid a fair amount of money for it, for me anyway ($35), but we decided the legs made it worth it.

The legs are solid cast iron women in what looks like an art deco style.
Yesterday we ripped off two of the old layers of upholstery and left the first two layers on. The first layer looks like an old carpet, the second layer is a quilted silk. The layers I ripped off were something that look like a nubby 1950's pink and that red silk in the photo. Underneath all of that it is stuffed with pine needles! (That's why I left the first two layers, too big of a mess to take all that apart.)
I added some more foam and a piece of a quilt I had kicking around the sewing room and now we have a foyer bench for taking off your shoes.
In my ongoing efforts to make the house more "homey," I framed and hung up these cup quilt blocks I bought at the flea market a long time ago. It wasn't easy to find square frames, but dollar tree finally came through. I just had to paint them white.
Anyway, I am still debating something. I bought a set of these three shelves at a thrift because I knew I would use them somewhere. My first thought was to use them with the teacup quilt blocks. Hang the shelves, lean a teacup block on each shelf and then set some of my teacup collection on the shelves with the quilt blocks. Does that make sense?

Then I decided to just hang the quilt blocks by themselves and see if I loved them. If I did, I would just use the shelves elsewhere.

But I am still undecided! What do you think? Blocks alone? Or blocks + shelves + teacups? (If I do use the shelves I think I am going to relocate the whole thing to a different wall, it won't be crowded onto that wall.)

17 comments:

  1. What a pretty bench. I always enjoy your make-overs. When I enlarged your framed quilt pieces, I can see why you'd love to put them into a collection with your shelves and teacups. I think it would be darling to display all three items together. I can't wait to see what you end up doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea. I do like the cups next to the dishes on the wall. The bench looks great! It would cost way more than that now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That bench was SO worth $35! It looks like a million bucks with that quilt on the cushion!

    No idea about the quilt blocks/shelf. Hmm. Would it be too tea-cuppy? That's not a word, I guess maybe I'm trying to say too much? Too precious?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say that I love frames sitting on shelves...would look really cute with the tea cups too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't help but think that the cups near those plate on the othe wall would be so Fun!

    And pine needle stuffing?
    How is that for vintage thrifty DIY?

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the bench. Seriously. As for the tea cups . . . I don't know, I love the idea of seeing them with real vintage tea cups along side. But it is more work and you've done so so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That bench is awesome! Love it! What a fabulous find!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the teacups with the quilt block idea - I love adding layers like that! Great idea - I totally see your vision!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your little bench turned out great Sarah -- you're soooo clever! I'm voting for the pictures on the shelves with the teacups. (Is that like Colonel Mustard in the library with the knife???)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i am green with envy! i waaant it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the legs on that bench, and the quilt you used to cover it! My old sofa is stuffed with horse hair, so I guess I'm not too shocked by the pine needles!
    I vote for the pictures on the shelves! Although I do love them the way they are now too. That was no help at all, was it?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh Sarah! You've been busy. Your house is looking so pretty! That bench is a great find! I'm sure it is worth more than the 35 you paid for it. I also love all of your new quilts and your pink quilt cabinet!!
    Oh and the shelves with the blocks. I love putting a shelf under a pic (in your case the quilt blocks). I think they would look great with your tea cup collection.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great find and I love how you covered it with a quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Sarah
    I have that bench. Really. I found it last year by the side of the road during our town's spring cleanup. What sold me on it was the legs and of course it was free. Go look at it here and you can see what the legs look like unpainted.
    http://myvintagesoul.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/04/junkin-week-2-and-a-winner.html
    On the inside of the legs, they are marked: Verona 840. Let me know if that's on yours too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The bench looks great!

    I say simpler is better on the teacups. I'd leave it as is.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the bench!

    Hmm... hard to say. Maybe prop a shelf up and see what it might look like displayed together?

    ReplyDelete
  17. My vote is if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Love the tea cups just the way they are. I think putting the shelves in a different area and maybe using an interesting layout for them will inspire what to put on them. Maybe a different framed object or some lovely old cast iron objects. Maybe even just some white ceramic pieces for a real shabby chic look.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?