Saturday, May 29, 2010

The herd


Since we inherited my grandfather's cat last summer we now have FOUR very, very long haired white furry beasts. The amount of cat hair around here is insane.

Insane I tell you.

And for some reason grandpa's cat is a horrible shedder.

No matter how much I brush her there is cat hair always coming off of her.
So today I sheared* half the herd.

Yes, that is cat hair from only HALF the herd.

It's a three foot long pile.

Have mercy on me!

*I just sit there with the scissors and carefully cut off as much hair as I quickly can with a wriggling, complaining cat held in one hand. They look like they've met Edward Scissorhands for a few days because of how choppy it looks. I've yet to find a better way to do it since their hair is too much like cotton candy for clippers.

Did you know that most groomers will not groom cats without anesthesia? No thanks.

11 comments:

  1. Could you use clippers after scissor cutting? Have you tried a shedding blade? Maybe you could find a Flowbee or Robocut at a yard sale/flea market. Or would the vacuum freak the cats out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my. I don't envy YOU or your furry beasts. I'd love to see an "after" picture of your furry family members.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to see an after picture! I can't believe how much hair our gray tabbies produce - long haired cats would drive me insane!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i wouldnt mind seeing an after picture either! white fluffy cats are beautiful but the hair is awful. we use to use our dog clippers & just shave our hairy cat down. but we started young so she was kind of use to it & it helped that she was declawed (which i would never do again or suggest anyone do...i realized it was so cruel to them). if you use clippers just make sure the blade is way sharp!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can honestly say I have never heard of anyone shving a cat! Now I know why I don't have a cat!
    Which we could see before and after pictures. Hey did I just give you an ideal for tomorrows post?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I laughed so hard you could have missed your calling to be a sheep herder/shearer.....you must have alot of patience!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can NOT imagine what that looks like. Isn't there a brush that has a blade halfway up that thins out hair? Maybe that would work. Or I could be making that up . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can barely put up with my own shedding issues; you're brave to deal with even one long-haired cat. the birds will be making nice nests out of their fur this year!
    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous6:55 AM

    Can you make yarn out of that? :)
    I have often threatened to actually shear our dog who shed so much. She passes at the end of last year and I now have more dirt in my vaccum than hair. I used to get enough in each vaccuming to make a small dog. B.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can you blame them? lol! Thankfully my herd has short hair!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can barely handle the one cat's hair! Goodness! Can you post a pic of the cat after? I see I'm not the only one who would love to see that! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?