Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Gooey Butter Cake hits the big time

If you have ever lived in St Louis you KNOW gooey butter cake.

It's the world's most perfect trashy food.

Imagine my surprise when I opened the July issue of Martha and saw our very own gooey butter cake right there on page 26. (Admittedly I have not tried the version they are hyping.)
There are plenty of recipes for gooey butter cake out there, including this rather "posh" version at Smitten Kitchen.

But there is no need to go crazy. This is not a posh cake.

Here's my favorite version:
GOOEY BUTTER CAKE

1 box yellow cake mix (I prefer whatever brand has "butter recipe golden" on the box)
2 eggs
1 stick softened margarine
1 tsp vanilla

Mix ingredients. Grease and flour 9X13 pan and spread mixture. (Will be very thick)

Topping

1 8oz cream cheese brick (no low fat, whipped, organic, half fat stuff here ladies)
2 eggs
1 box powder sugar (I think 1 - 1.5 cups is sufficient)
1 tsp vanilla

Place over top of batter. Bake at 350 for 30 to 35 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar once removed. (In my crazy oven I have to cook it for 35 mins at 350 degrees then another 15 minutes at 325 degrees. You want the middle part set up like a cheesecake, not wobbly like jello.)

Yummy.

Then guard this thing with your life if your family is full of hummingbirds. (I am looking at you Jack, you sugar fiend.)

If you don't have the July issue yet, you should. You will not be disappointed. There are cute honeycomb crafts and tablecloths!!! The Florida one on the table here is to die for cute.

Now if only I could go to a yard sale...

I better go have another piece of gooey butter cake instead.

:-)

6 comments:

  1. And I almost got the July edition at the grocery store today. Maybe I will have to go back. The sugar fiend

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Gooey Butter Cake! My ex was from St Louis and I got the recipe from his mother. You'll be yard saleing before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, I am going to try that. Sounds delicious and perfectly easy! I am so happy to read this nice cheerful posts from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going home this weekend and I was so excited to pick one up, but now I think I might make my own! :) I'll do Ted Drewe's and Imo's this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tina S7:21 PM

    I have been making gooey butter cake for years. It was my dad's favorite cake ever. I have experimented with chocolate cake mix/chocolate powdered sugar and lemon cake mix/lemon powdered sugar but the original recipe is by far the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...being a NE girl, I must admit that I had never heard of this 'Gooey Butter Cake' - but hey, I was game! I must confess, I did play around with the 'cream cheese topping' a bit though... since nobody around here has ever even heard of this cake before, I figured they wouldn't know the difference if I 'wonked' it out a bit with a couple of handfuls of fresh raspberries (I have SO MANY right now, that they go in EVERYTHING!!!). DH protested a bit Monday night about the oven being on, but after he had finished his THIRD piece later on, he completely forgot about the heat 8-)!!!!
    THANKS for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?