Monday, November 01, 2010

Halloween: The Final Chapter

I know most people are going to think that the owl costume was harder than this one to make.

But that is so not the case.

Figuring out how to make the wings, actually making them, and then attaching them? Hard work!

Most bat costumes just have wings attached to the undersides of the sleeves, but I thought it would just look like he was wearing a sweatsuit with ears.
In the end, I am happy with the result.
Since Jack declared it "the best costume ever" and spent much time "flapping" his wings in it, I think it was a hit.
Selfishly, I REALLY hope that when he is grown he will remember the mama made costumes fondly, because there was MANY a moment when I was cursing myself for not having just bought the Pottery Barn Bat and being done with it.

:-)

And with that it is November. 29 weeks pregnant today (hooray!) and my eyes are already set on the Christmas prize! I am looking forward to seeing my ornaments (which were all packed away last year), sorting through the Christmas bins and making that collection more manageable and waiting for the snow to come.

11 comments:

  1. I would love to see how you decided to attach them. I had the worst time with that when I made the spider costume last year. I ended up making a harness, which broke half way through trick or treating. And what did you use to make them. They stick out perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! You did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 29 weeks! Wow. I can't believe it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jack's bat costume is absolutely splendid. Great job. I'm sure he'll remember his special homemade costumes forever. I'm not eager to pack up all our Halloween thunder, but I am excited about digging out Christmas. Congrats on 29 weeks. Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My 35 to 42 yo "kids" still talk about the costumes I made "way back when"... so I'm sure Jack will too!
    They remember the strangest things too!
    29 weeks!!? That's a marvelous update!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously, Sarah, that is the best costume EVER! No wonder Jack thinks it is! You can tell from the photos how pleased he is :-)My mom didn't sew much, but she did her best to make us cool costumes. My favorite was the year I got to be a "beatnik", ha! I truly thought I was the 'bees knees'. I made a few costumes for my kids when they were younger, but they didn't come close to Jack's. He will remember, I am certain. Besides, you are so good at recording his life in pictures and words, he will never forget. Good job, Mama

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah! You rocked it with the costume hon. Great job.

    Oh, and I still haven't gone in to my garage to peek at my ornaments....maybe this weekend!

    Deanna :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fanastic Job. Isn't it amazing the creativity our children inspire in us?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the costume. I think he will remember the handmade costumes when he grows up. My mother always made costumes for me and my sister and now I make them for my daughter. It's one of my favourite things to sew.

    Congrats on 29 weeks! Keep well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've said it before.....you are just the best mom!!! Look at Jacks face!!!! What's that tell you?
    29 weeks? I am getting so excited for all of you. How is Ms. Things nursery coming along?
    Can't we have a CYBER BABY SHOWER or something??????
    Can't help it - my baby is 39 and holding. I'm just so excited for you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great costume! For what it is worth, I try to make costumes when I can because I have such good memories of MY mom making my costumes. In fact a lot of what I do with my kids is because my mom did such a good job with celebrations when I was growing up. I am sure that Jack will remember so much of it!

    And yeah for 29 weeks!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?