Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Getting Clever In My Old Age

I know, two posts in one day.

You might remember that I mentioned that Jack is NOT responding to stranger's inquiries about his sister or his experience as a brother well at all. In fact, he is downright rude. I don't think he means to be rude - he is shy and generally doesn't do well with questioning (even from me), but rude he is.

The other day after another day of being frustrated with his growling and grunting and refusal to answer I thought I might probe the situation a little.

I asked him if he knew the appropriate responses to the questions he is always hearing and he assured me he did. Then he demanded silence and no more questions from me.

In a lightbulb moment I decided to offer him a quarter if he would be polite to strangers (he is VERY motivated by money).

So today we are in Costco and a grandpa sees him reading Diary of a Wimpy Kid. He comes over and asks Jack how old he is (he was surprised to see him reading that book).

And whaddyaknow? Jack answered right away.

He didn't growl. He didn't grunt. He didn't hide. He just said "six."

And when the man didn't hear him and asked again? He just said "six" again.

Sometimes I am pretty clever. LOL

2 comments:

  1. I've had to bribe a teen to do something she enjoyed....sometimes they just need a push and money is strong. BTW Sammi is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Ann6:55 AM

    When my son was younger, I always thought he seemed rude when people talked to him. I finally got out of him that the reason was because he "wasn't supposed to talk to strangers". Just something to consider.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?