Tuesday, April 05, 2011

A thrift challenge

It started with this toddler shirt I bought for $1 in Goodwill a few weeks back. It's sized 24 months and is that lovely melon color I am crushing on right now. Since I have no way of knowing if it would ever fit Sammi in the right season I decided to cut it up.

Once I started cutting I thought it would be fun to challenge myself to use as much of it as I possibly could.
Here's what I made from that $1 toddler shirt (I bought NOTHING new to do any of this, everything additional was in my sewing room already):

I cut the bottom ruffle off and trimmed Sammi's lampshade (it is just glued on);
a ball;
an octopus toy (pattern here );
applique and bow on a onesie;
by this time scraps were getting scarce - I mod podged a bunch onto a paper mache Easter egg...
here's the front of the egg;
and what might be my favorite project, a dollhouse sized bunting...
with scalloped edges.

Here's what's left from the shirt:
a pile of trash;
a small pile of usable scraps (they fit in a soap dish);
and the last of the ruffles plus two buttons.

It was a fun, creative challenge!

15 comments:

  1. Genius! Never thought to look at clothes that way(:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great projects! I have some undonateable clothes with stains I'd love to repurpose. How did you attach the ruffle to the lampshade?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing! And all the "projects" are so different! I'll be looking at garage sale stuff differently..

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is so cool! yea you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is amazing. i have a million things laying around that are just awaiting some type of treatment - i never would have thought of all those things!
    (btw, you could even compost the scraps if it is cotton.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are totally UNREAL!!!!!!! Now I want to start looking at frabric differently!

    So what if it's a think skirt in a size 6. NOT for me!!!!!!! If I love the fabric I will buy it and think of you.

    P.S. I am a rughooker......and this is how I view used wool clothing. Nice Pendleton plaid? My brain says sky....or......tree.......or water!
    I never thought to apply it to cottons! Whoooo whooooooooo.......

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow!! what a great use of almost the entire top! all super cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant...once again!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yea for cutting things up! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What size shirt was that? Holy number of re-uses! Very cool. Very inspiring. I think I'll just start sending you my ragbag....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it!!!!!! I am a thrifty person as well:D I get such a charge when I can reuse it rather than throw it away. I had an article in Somerset Studios Altered Couture sometime ago when I made an outfit out of items purchased at Goodwill:D So much fun! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing what you did with just a little dress!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing what you did with just a little dress!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm in love with the dolls house bunting you made! You're just so resourceful, great blog! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are amazing! I am your newest follower and I am hoping that you will stop by and add some of your fabulous projects to my Monday link party @ http://pinkapotamus.blogspot.com
    Can't wait to see what else you come up with!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?